930 Turbo Carrera | Page 300 | FerrariChat

930 Turbo Carrera

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by joe sackey, Nov 7, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    You can try and contact the various NY/NJ PCA chapter presidents and they could put out a feeler for vintage club badges.

2. ignominus

ignominus Karting

Sep 6, 2013
    Indeed, that's a solid price, and the buyer may expect a value rise. I have the impression that there are less ROW survivors than US ones. Also, I have the impression that US examples were often more looked after than their ROW counterparts, which is something I was also told my merchants. It is really not easy to find a nice correct ROW here in Europe. If this impression reflects the truth, that may explain the gap.

3. steveintoronto

steveintoronto Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2007
    Wow, that would be an amazing find for a 930 that lost it's radio.

idart likes this.
  4. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

It's probably worth a LOT more new in the box than it is in a car.

5. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    So, this trippy gold 3.0 930 just brought a high bid of just $103,000 (RNM) today.

This begs a number of relevant questions:

- Was there a problem with this car that did not come up in the discussions on BAT?
    - Were the colors a hinderance to the sale?
    - Is this the new valuation for a 3.0 930 of similar status?
    - Have we seen the current bottom yet for 3.0 930s?

6. steveintoronto

Mar 24, 2007
    Very surprised that this car didn't go for more than the one a few weeks ago on BAT that sold for $147k. Perhaps the colour limited the market. That said, I think the classic car market in general, and the Porsche market particularly have softened.

Strangely my turbo Carrera is just as fantastic to drive despite the declining value.

7. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I believe this car has been around the (auction) block a few times. From what I recall I saw this car at Russo & Steele earlier this year. Not surprised about the results today.

8. idart

idart Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2012
    IMHO, the BAT 3-liter Turbo just didn’t have the attention to detail it deserved. For example, what’s up with the spare tire paint and fuel line/filter in the odd location above the spare?

The trunk is a good place to see the original condition of a car provided it has not been repainted. I recently detailed my trunk and it’s in an amazing state of preservation...before and after photos below. I like originality but I’m reluctant to remove the strut brace, 1970s period installed by ANDIAL.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #7487 joe sackey, Oct 17, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017

Great points, so essentially this was not a particularly loved example, and it's safe to say that anyone who bought these to speculate a couple of years ago hasn't fared so well.

10. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Quickly back on the market on eBay.

1977 Porsche 930 Coupe Turbo https://www.ebay.com/i/182837990582

11. Topocalma

Topocalma Rookie

Jun 24, 2017
    First of all: I had the first proper outing with the car last weekend. Small country roads and a good stretch of German Autobahn on a georgeous fall day. And the car, what a piece of machinery! I loved it. Only when one of the sugar scoop gaskets ripped at > 120 miles / hour did it occur to me that it maybe was the first time the car was hitting high speeds...

I am sorting a bunch of things on the car. The following questions I could not clarify so far:
    1. Antenna - which Hirschmann model would have been in the car orivinally? Attached a picture of the currently non-functional installed model which I have been told is not original. (picture 1 +2)

2. What is the round (quarter sized) 'hole' in the dash leather on the right of the steering wheel (see picture 3)? I found it in some pictures of 77s but couldnt figure out what they are for. Mine seems to have been use for installing sth that has been removed in the mean time.

3. What would have been installed between the sun visors with two screws? (pic 4)

Thanks for your help!

Attached Files:

12. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Sounds like you had a good run! I don't know much about the Hirschmann antennae, but the spot between the visors is for an air sensor. The spot next to the vent controls may also have been for a sensor of some sort. My 86 turbo had a sensor next to the vent control, but not sure about my 77.

Now, regarding the gasket on the sugar scoop, you should be able to superglue it. My euro H4 gasket is a long piece that needs to be glued together.

13. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    It always makes me crazy whenever a Copper Brown Metallic 77 930 pops up for sale. I haven't seen my car in a few months as my mechanic needed to compare my wiring with a 77 he's rebuilding. He's also working on a 79 with 9k on it so my car went to the detailers down the street for a paint correction.

14. steveintoronto

Mar 24, 2007
    Topocalma,

I believe the missing component on the headliner is the temperature sensor for the automatic climate control. Pretty fancy stuff for 1977, I should think.

Attached is the area of dash where you seem to have a hole. I took this picture of my dash, and it seems to have been molded in place, ready for the assembler to punch it out if needed I would guess Image Unavailable, Please Login . I didn't find a reference to it in the owner's manual, I suspect that it belonged to a choke control or similar on earlier 911s and was never removed from the dash mold, but I could be wrong about that.

15. idart

idart Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2012
    The cutout is in the same location as the variable wiper control knob for the 1975 model year. As you mentioned, probably just an artifact in the mold.

16. idart

idart Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2012
  17. idart

idart Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2012
  18. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Was that just '75?
    My '78 and my friend's '77 have the V wiper switch by the speedo.

19. idart

idart Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2012
    The variable speed wiper knob did move by the speedo in 1976. In 1975, in was left of the climate control panel.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. steveintoronto

Mar 24, 2007
    Ugh, just looking at that photo reminds me of how difficult it is to get the oil filter out without scratching anything or dumping oil everywhere. Just heading out to the garage to change the oil and the transmission fluid.