The problem with buying an Ex-leased Ferrari | FerrariChat

The problem with buying an Ex-leased Ferrari

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Condor Man, Oct 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    So my neighbor in Beverly Hills never ever warms up his car!

I mean the Moron starts it and revs the guts out of it straight from the get go and then always without fail takes off up the street and takes it to 6,000 revs.

Not to mention he also leaves his 488 in the driveway or on the street all night.

It actually makes me ill!

I would hate to be the next owner of that car.

May the Horse be with you....

2. RossoCorsa716

RossoCorsa716 Karting

May 15, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sorry bud, I’ll try to keep the revs down for ya ;)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

dc3843 likes this.
  3. Hoagers

Hoagers Karting

Dec 4, 2016
    You infer that leases are causal somehow, as if people who buy them do not treat them the same way

4. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Casual in so much as you can hand the keys back in 36 months and not give a **** as to what condition the car is aside from cosmetic.

5. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    LOL!

6. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    I have leased every Ferrari to date and treat it as though I own it... why you ask? Well, I lease a Ferrari (closed end) to hedge against an accident. If I were to wreck the car in any fashion and need to have it repaired, then yes, it goes back, but the new owner can gladly do a thorough inspection to know exactly what was repaired/replaced.

7. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    I think it's the driver not the lease, and how many "owners" have a plan to trade-in or sell their cars within the same time period (3 years or less)? Personally I do not lease, and although I don't buy with a plan to sell, there are times when the desire for the next car outweighs common sense, but I will always treat the car as if it will be in my garage forever. I assume most here feel the same way.

Jim

uhn2000 likes this.
  8. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Don't get me wrong.... I am not against leasing. As a matter of fact I have a 488 on order at the moment and the major reason why I would lease is as you state above.

This whole carfax thing can be truly devastating especially if you have the most minor accident.... then all of a sudden the car is worth way less than it should be.

9. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Whether or not leased cars are generally worse or not, I sure wouldn’t want his neighbors car.

10. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I agree most on here will feel the same as you and I about their cars regardless if it is leased or owned.

I just feel that the lease option gives the disrespecting few an easy out.

11. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    For the life of me I can’t make sense of leasing. But to each their own.

12. unotaz

unotaz Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Michael
    If you live in California and changes car every 2 to 3 years, the lease option makes the better financial sense, as you are only paying taxes on those monthly payments. If you buy the car outright with cash, you pay the full amount of the sales tax and doesn't get any of that back when its time for you trade your car in. Uncle Sam takes all your tax money and you don't get any of it back. This, of course, only applies in California.

PhantomCypher and dustman like this.
  13. 100badboy100

100badboy100 Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Here in the UK many people lease the car through a company to get a tax break on it.

I asked the dealer the other day what %age of new F cars are financed he said roughly 50%

Regards

Michael

14. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Understood in california as I lived there for 30+ years but you pay 4 grand a month for 3 years and plus a 50k down payment....I dont know man- just seems like a waste.

15. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I think in certain situations leasing can be better... For example;

1) You avoid the 10% sales tax. In Cali.
    2) The lease is tax deductible against your company.
    3) The Carfax scenario.... If you own the car and someone hits you, then it is always on record which will cost big money when you go to trade or sell Vs just handing the keys back.

Also, sometimes companies offer cracking leases that are hard to pass on;

https://www.ogaracoach.com/vehicle-details/new-2017-rolls-royce-wraith--beverly-hills-ca-id-20128127

If you where to buy this car outright, after 48 months, you would be in a worse situation.

16. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    "Lease expense - 2017 Ferrari 488 - $80,000" on your company tax return is just begging an audit from the IRS. :)

iloveferrari likes this.
  17. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Yes.... I would agree with this statement strongly.

18. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Nope...and I am in Cali.

19. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Math works in favor.

20. RossoCorsa716

RossoCorsa716 Karting

May 15, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Of course we're talking about leasing vs finance again!

The MAIN variable to consider between leasing vs finance is how long you plan on holding on to the car before you trade in (which is sometimes difficult to predict, but if you can do it ahead of time then you're in a better position):

If you know you'll be trading in at around 2.5 years or sooner - LEASE! You will pay less tax but more interest, however since you're only keeping the car for a short time the greater interest is ok. Mileage restrictions don't apply because you'll be selling the car back to the dealer prior to lease term end.

If you'll likely keep her for more than 2.5 years - FINANCE! You will pay more tax initially but less interest overall.

It ends up being a wash at 2.5 years because the higher tax you pay when you finance is offset by the higher interest you pay when you lease.

For a typically optioned (i.e. ~$50k in options) 488 GTB costing ~$310k, an open ended lease is $4200 with NO DOWN PAYMENT ($12k drive off includes first month, security deposit, fees). Open ended is the way to go, just treat the car like you bought it and take good care it. Don't let people scare you about "what if you get in an accident with open ended lease!" It's no different if you got in an accident with a financed car! Accidents are tragic, but don't miss the benefits of an open ended lease because of that argument! Even closed ended leases would typically get sold back to the dealer because the residual set by Ferrari is so low that you often have equity in the car. I imagine that if you really bang up the car maybe your better option is to just hand it back at the end of the lease but I would guess this happens less than 5% of the time. And if you do sell back to dealer (whether open or closed end lease) then, again, mileage restrictions don't apply, there is no penalty, drive as much as you want and realize that you will get a lower offer from dealer when you trade in - just like if you had bought the car!

Cheers!

21. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    So let me throw this scenario out. You buy a 488 gtb- call it 300k. Throw in tax and license and it’s 330k out the door. The car assume will depreciate 25k in a year.

I pay cash. I drive the car for 2 years and a the end of two years I trade in the car for something else and the dealer offers me 250k. In Arizona I get my taxes back when I trade for the next car.

It cost me 50k roughly to drive the car for 2 years.

If I lease- at your number 4000 a month plus 8k additional security deposit and such- I’m almost at 100k out of pocket after two years.

Because of this I can’t make head or tails why it makes any sense to lease the car other than the fact you don’t have 300k to throw down on a car.

22. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Seems a pretty balanced assessment, I agree. To the used car market: leased cars are, almost by definition, less taken care of than cars that are bought to keep, which in turn means some pretty much abused 458s will enter the used car market and will enter the garage of an unsuspecting owner.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

23. duxz360

duxz360 Rookie

Nov 19, 2016
    I wouldn't touch a car that was leased with a 10 foot pole, people who lease Ferraris simply don't give a damn about the car and are likely buying it for the badge, reving it before the engine is warmed up to look cool, go hard with the shifts, touch the leather with greasy,sticky fingers. Leasing makes sense on something that will take a giant hit in value like a Bentley or a Rolls,AMG,M , but the F12 and 458/488 are holding their values well.

24. Hoagers

Hoagers Karting

Dec 4, 2016
    absolute conjecture, speculation, and nonsense. You're speaking in absolute terms perhaps you'll show us where you've studied all leased cars and owned cars to come up with that conclusion? Choosing not to buy because of perceived percentages is one thing making blanket bold statements like that is nothing but unfounded nonsense

RossoCorsa716 likes this.
  25. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    an absolute generalization here is probably unfair but i think the market will indicate a lease car with one lessor is less desirable than a car with one owner for the reasons indicated