Passenger display | FerrariChat

Passenger display

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by junc, Sep 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    What do you gentlemen/ladies think about speccing the passenger display? I didn't get it on my other F cars in the past because it seemed gimmicky and not useful. Now I see that in the one in the Lusso which will probably also be in the 812 the passenger can select music and send navigation details.

2. FFantastic

FFantastic Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
    It's a bit of fun for the passenger. doesn't do much but adds to the drama. Expensive ......yes..........Worth it?.............oh yes.

3. not4one

not4one Formula Junior

May 23, 2010
    CT, FL
    Opinion of one...forgivable gimmick on the 812 because, with no central display for music and what not, it is indeed functional for the passenger. On the Lusso, given the very nice and accessible central display, not so much. As for the speed/rpm/tech readouts...the stuff of a train spotter. Most passengers have many preferences over technical vehicle info....time, outside temp, streaming of sports scores, stock prices, restaurant menus, etc., etc., etc., etc., then maybe speed...and of course they already have all of this, incl speed and nav, on their phone, without fiddling with an unfamiliar dashboard.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  4. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Does anyone know if it can be added later. Would seem like a perfect "upgrade" if someone wanted it

5. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I think it can, for former models (including the F12) it's part of the "Ferrari Genuine" accessories program. Retrofit is just probably more expensive than the original option list price.

Shack likes this.
  6. Welford10

Welford10 Karting

Dec 26, 2013
    England
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I will be speccing it on mine for sure......bit of fun.

7. kenvw

kenvw Rookie

Jul 16, 2016
    Will be specked on mine!! One of the biggest joys about driving any Ferrari is the excitement on a passsengers face. Then to give them the read out right in front of them is priceless!! The first box I tick on any car I order. To me it’s slmost a must do requirement for those who can afford a Ferrari and drive others around. It’s the best we can do to give them as much of the experience as possible. Worth every penny and only Ferrari offers it. Honestly it’s the best options you can give yourself because it lights up passengers faces like nothing else.

8. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Thanks god that I haven't the passenger display on my F12 and I'm glad to explain why. I use the car mostly at the weekend and I like to travel with my wife to different places which in some cases are more than 200 miles away from where we live. On those journeys and mainly when we are traveling on motorways, I always have the opportunity to clean the injectors but always aware that I'm only using a small part of the F12 full potential. I've noticed that up to speeds of around 230 Km/hour my wife doesn't ask anything or complain and often she sleeps. However if I go faster and may be due to a change in the vibration pattern, she immediately asks me what speed we are doing. Because the speedometer is hidden on the left side display and she can't see it from her side, when she asks me what speed we are doing I always lie and if we go at 260 Km/hour, I say diligently that we are doing 200 Km/hour. For that reason, I think the passenger display is a great tool when you want to impress a teenager or your passenger friends but I believe it's a complete inhibitor to anyone that has a wife like mine.

HKS479, Makuono, Sapo117 and 9 others like this.
  9. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    Ha you made me laugh. Your example is one of the reasons why I haven't specced it in the past. My wife is also not a huge fan of traveling at high rates of speed and lets me know that fact quite often.

Caeruleus11, uhn2000 and MDEL like this.
  10. ok458

ok458 Karting

Apr 2, 2010
    Do it! It’s really cool. It’s my son’s favorite thing about the car. And honestly, it is a really unique feature.

uhn2000 likes this.
  11. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    It just goes to show, theres a legitimate point of view for both sides here. I didn't do it on my F12 for those reasons, but the 812 features a much better one and its more interactive. The GTC4 I might be tempted to do just because its cool looking... when I drive with my wife I find I can go a lot faster in my family car than I can in the Ferrari before I get the "just how fast are we going now???" The same things I love about the Ferraris are the same things that give the game away...

MDEL likes this.
  12. PhantomCypher

PhantomCypher Formula Junior

May 25, 2014
    USA
    I just tell my wife, "this is the speed that people on the Autobahn drive everyday, even this very moment." It usually gets the point across.

Short video showing someone getting passed at 260 km/hr

MDEL and junc like this.
  13. MrFloppi

MrFloppi Karting

Mar 15, 2014
    Passenger display is a nice gimmick. On the F12 more or less useful for the passenger but improvent on the 812. So I've opted it.
    Regarding high speed with wifes, you guys can turn the display off and above 300 kph / 200 mph blaim the vibration and noise on the poor roads ;-)

P.S. In my M760 Li 300+ feels like 180kph in the Ferrari. No drama and no complaints from passengers.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

14. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I have to show that video to my wife but I fear it won't help very much my cause. By the way this weekend I was driving with her on a motorway and as I already mentioned before her speed alarm in the F12 normally rings around 230 Km/hour. I reached 260 Km/hour and she said we were going too fast and asked me which speed we were doing. As always, I replied without hesitating that we were doing 200 Km/hour. Unexpectedly she balanced her head almost on top of the steering wheel and looked at the speedometer which I've set on the left side display. She than said "You are a lier we are doing 220 Km/hour". This episode made me think about the consequences a lie can have on a happy marriage and was the definitive impulse to seek a solution just in case my wife sees the speedometer again. Easy, soon I'll change the speedometer units from Km/hour to Miles/hour and put it on the right side display so she can see it clearly. From now on I'm almost certain that I'll be gaining many credits from my wife because of my prudential driving and she will only become upset if one day I exceed the 199 Miles/hour speed barrier.

uhn2000, PhantomCypher and deltona like this.
  15. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    This is the funniest thing I've read in a long time. My wife already assumes I'm speeding, the last thing I need is to give her proof.
    T

MDEL likes this.
  16. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Haha. I'm changing mine to kmh, Mario. You've probably done more for husband-wife tranquility than you know!
    T

MDEL likes this.
  17. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    It’s about the only option i didn’t get on my F12 when spec’d....in retrospect, I might do it if I had a redo.

18. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
    :D

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZv1WFRhwmK/?taken-by=h_c.d

junc, tomc and MDEL like this.
  19. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Tom, after a lie the need for the proof to be given always arises and I think changing the units from Km to miles and putting the speedometer totally visible will fulfill that purpose showing my good will. In your case because your wife already assumes you are speeding, I presume that changing the units from Miles to Km and showing her the speed you are doing can only make things much worst.

20. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^ Agreed. It'll look worse, numerically, plus as a scientist, she's in the small fraction of Americans who understands the metric system!
    T

junc and MDEL like this.
  21. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Interesting, my wife starts fussing about 150 mph, which seems to be a common trigger point, as that's when she realises we might be going fast. To give her the proof and be castigated for 'behaving like a child' would be pointless. No passenger readout ever thank you.

rockitman, tomc and MDEL like this.
  22. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I believe it can be added after the fact...

rockitman likes this.
  23. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Can it be set up not to show mph/kmh ? Just say, RPM ?

jumpinjohn and MDEL like this.
  24. woody byrd

woody byrd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2006
    cary, nc
    Full Name:
    woody byrd
    I decided I don't need it. My wife can tell me how fast I am going.

motodavid2000 and MDEL like this.