355 headers | FerrariChat

355 headers

Discussion in '348/355' started by Lip viper, Oct 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lip viper

Lip viper Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2013
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Larryplatas
    Same old situation what would you do. Getting my 355 engine out at 22k miles. Car looks
    Great never abused. Stock manifolds smoke test look perfect . Was planning on on putting cat test pipes and go from there . Maybe get lucky and reduce heat.

Cars are simple to put on headers when motors is out, except 3-4 week delay on any header built, unless someone has used one
    S. motor is almost ready to go back in n car

Thanks,

Larry

2. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    well if they've best tested and in good shape I would probably just keep them on.

putting set of test pipes is a good idea and offers some heat relief for the header tubing.

if something happens. headers can be done with engine in.

3. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Can be done engine in but is a pain.

Easier to do it now. Call fabspeed or tubi.

Robb

4. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I can confirm that test pipes really do reduce the heat in the engine bay.

5. 355dryva

355dryva Rookie

May 14, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Darren
    What are test pipes?

6. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    What year is your F355?

7. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    Test pipes are Catbypass pipes, aka pipes that delete the primary catalytic converters.

8. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I can also confirm that having tests pipes on a 5.2 355 will throw error codes and SDL.

9. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Also called "straight" pipes.
    No cats just a straight thru pipe.
    Sometimes they label them "for off road use only" ;)

10. Lip viper

Lip viper Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2013
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Larryplatas
    It's a 1995.

11. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    Ah okay, I have 5.2 Headers on the shelf. It would take us about 2, 3 weeks max to whip up a set for the 2.7

12. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Go with Tubi....Cost is higher buy you will have great headers that will last forever. The others are not shielded and are not 4 into 2 into 1.

13. Lip viper

Lip viper Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2013
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Larryplatas
    Quick question as this is my first Ferrari 95 355. In reading all the issues I with the stock manifolds on the Internet. Mine seem to be in good shape and have been smoke tested. It's getting the engine out soon and would replacing the stock primary cats with test pipes as stated in the thread extend the life or prevent the failing manifolds.

I have read so many different opinions on the Internet. Some write it's the primary cats go bad/clog up thus creating extra heat to the allready weak crappy manifolds thus causing them to fail. We have no emissions here in Florida so removing them is not an issue.

Of course I would love to put on some Tubis, but between the cost of the car and the engine out I am tapped out at the moment.

Thanks,

Larry

14. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Agreed, I have had Tubi headers on my 1995 F355 Berlinetta since 2007 and have never had issues. Sound is excellent as well when paired with Hyperflow cats and a Tubi exhaust.

15. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    since you have a 1995 2.7 car, and between purchase of car and doing the engine out, if you are trying to prioritize..

I would probably start with removing the stock cats and put in a set of test pipes. with your 2.7 car you will not have any issues with CEL.
    only because you've had the stock headers tested and are not leaking, is why im suggesting to delay headers for now
    the test pipes will offer overall heat relief and help the headers too.. in addition to significantly improved sound.

then in the future, as another project.. you could get a new set of headers, whether they be Fabspeed or Tubi, since they can be installed with engine in.

keep your eye out, used sets of headers and test pipes come available in the sales section.

as for myself on my 5.2 car.. I got so wrapped up, paranoid, about all the stories, I must have went nuts trying to read everything.. and what to do
    where I gave in to the horror, and replaced my stock headers with a set of Fabspeed, even though with inspection the stock headers still looked ok too..
    in hindsight I probably could have left the stock headers on..

if you do go this route.. just be tentative of any changes in exhaust note, ticking at cold starts, white dust or fiberglass bits from header insulation in the engine bay etc..

hope that helps..

16. Lip viper

Lip viper Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2013
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Larryplatas
    Thanks I think I will go with the test pipes and keep an eye on the stock manifolds.

Finding used tubis is nearly impossible, but I am sure some will pop up.

Regards,

Larry

17. hjp

hjp Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2013
    Kansas City, Mo.
    Full Name:
    Jerry Peterson
    +1

18. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    In my opinion if the replacement headers do not make more power than stock = wasted money. How much more power to Tubi headers make vs stock?, How much more power do fabspeed headers make vs stock? The other think to consider is heat. the F129 is notorious for eating stock headers. So I would insist on nothing less that 16 gauge tubing in 421 stainless.

19. Joe@Fabspeed

Joe@Fabspeed Karting
    Sponsor

Jul 1, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe Fabiani
    Fabspeed Motorsport developed high performance headers for all Ferrari 355 cars many many years ago. We designed and engineered and incrementally dyno developed our 5.2 and 2.7 injection headers and perfected them. These add significant horsepower and torque all across the RPM band and are a direct replacement bolt-on for the stock headers.
    Hand crafted from T304L stainless steel and tig welded and back purged with argon gas. The mandrel bent header tubes are then hooked up to F1/ Indy car merge collectors.
    Fabspeed also has optional ceramic coatings from Jet Hot and also 1800 degree thermal blankets available. All of our Ferrari headers come with stainless steel heat shields for the A/C compressor and alternator at no extra charge. No one offer these parts in all these combinations. We also have 355 catbypass pipes straight pipes too. Fabspeed perfected these headers over 22 years ago and has had continual improvement on all Ferrari parts.
    Visit our website for full details and Video explanations.
    ask for Travis

20. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Years ago dyno sheets were posted. As I recall the Fabspeed headers gained peak horsepower and lost midrange torque. (As would usually be the case going from 4-2-1 to 4-1)

21. ducrob

ducrob Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2011
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I'm not in any way involved with Fabspeed but I can say that it's one year exactly now with the "full" system and it still looks and sounds great. I've had to tighten the header bolts up a bit recently and I still carry a pack of deci-damps (hearing protectors) in the car for passengers when I anticipate a tunnel or a high rev drive. The techs at Ferrari Vancouver laughed about the drama when the car was revved up after the install.

Fabspeed Motorsport likes this.
  22. Lip viper

Lip viper Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2013
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Larryplatas
    Just took the car out as I was out of town. Ended up putting tubi headers, test pipes but still have the stock muffler. I purchased a used Tubi muffler I need to install.

The weather is just beautiful here in Miami. Wow what a car the 355 is, has its quirks but feels so right. Very mechanical. I could see why these manual 355s will fetch a premium in the future.

First Ferrari so not use to all the attention even if it is a 1995
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

ShineKen likes this.
  23. darrenliu

darrenliu Formula Junior

Jun 24, 2008
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Darren Liu
  24. darrenliu

darrenliu Formula Junior

Jun 24, 2008
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Darren Liu
    LIP Viper, does your car sound any different with the Tubi headers , test pipes but retaining the stock muffler?

25. ferrari 512 tr

ferrari 512 tr F1 Rookie

Nov 16, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Paolo