Fender work in Honolulu? | FerrariChat

Fender work in Honolulu?

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by Bob in Makiki, Sep 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob in Makiki

Bob in Makiki Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    It looks like I need to have my front fenders rolled. Any recommendations for someone who can do that work? Thanks!

2. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Tuning shops like Sonic and Rad might do fender rolling. There were some that did it in the past, but I can't remember their names. However, be aware that these shops are used to working on Subarus and Hondas, not Ferraris. Perhaps someone at Velocity does that in-house or has someone the can recommend?

3. Bob in Makiki

Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    The car is with Velocity now. They don't do body work, and the first body shop they contacted declined. They will try another on Monday, but I'm open to recommendations if anyone here has had such work done. Thanks!

4. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I have an Eastwood roller and a heat gun...if you want to give it a try. lol

Why do you need your fenders rolled? You never explained that. Is the car lowered? Wider tires, different offset wheels?

5. Bob in Makiki

Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    Well, I may need to borrow your Eastwood roller! (I offered to buy one for the dealership but they politely declined.)

I have not had the car lowered or changed wheels or tires, so I guess it is just Hawaii roads, since the car was fine for the previous decade or more. I think the problem is when I turn from Beretania into our condo driveway, it is a sharp right and a sharp incline up due to the crown of the road and the slant of the driveway. The car was a bit lower than factory spec, so I am having the dealership take it to the upper end of factory spec, which should give me an extra 1/2" and that may be enough to solve the problem. I hope . . . But rolling the fenders is the other option, if I can find anyone who will do it.

6. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    Aluminum fenders do not roll like steel fenders do. The heat gun will do nothing for you. You should scribe the paint where you want the bend. Still a good chance the paint will chip off and the aluminum will crack though.

7. Bob in Makiki

Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    Bob: Thanks for your note above. I am sure you are correct, that aluminum fenders do not roll like steel fenders do. But the 360 Forum has many reports of 360 owners who have successfully had their fenders rolled (and I don't recall any reports of failures), so that is why I am exploring that option. Your comment may be why body shops here are not willing to try it, however.

8. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Bob I had a few grabs of my fender by the tires when I first got it. You can bend back the area where they get caught with a hardwood handle like an axe, long hammer or a baseball bat. Put it on the wheel and bend it up and a little past where it was. Carefull and steady is the key and massage the area back into shape. Paint wasn't an issue for me but maybe mine wasnt that severe of a grab? You will need to adjust your driving too and apply the Ferrari 45 (as in 45 degrees ingress/egress), when you cross thresholds with the tires straight. Use all the street if you have to. I haven't had a grab in years after I became "that guy" using the whole road! ;-)

9. Bob in Makiki

Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    Thanks Kevin. Good advice! I hadn't heard of the "Ferrari 45" but had figured out for myself that was what I likely needed to do.

At this point Aron has found a body shop willing to adjust the fenders a bit. I need to decide if I want to have them do that. He has also raised the car up to the top of factory spec (it was a little below factory spec before) and that should give me an extra 1/2" clearance. Whether that is enough or not I guess remains to be seen.

By the way, I have a 360 Modena book for you, if we ever meet in person. Since I have a Spider I would be glad to pass it on to you -- it is just pretty pictures of a Modena! I think you will enjoy it.

Kevin Rev'n likes this.