Garage Lifts | FerrariChat

Garage Lifts

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by njcycleguy, Oct 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. njcycleguy

njcycleguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2008
    Northeast
    Been considering a lift for my garage for some time. I already went thru the hassle of installing all new high lift garage doors and jack shaft operators - but for some reason I can't seem to pull the trigger on a lift.

I first thought I wanted a single arm lift for aesthetic purposes, but I'm now considering a simple 4 post - problem is I don't want to overpay - or underpay for that matter. Example - I don't mind spending a few extra bucks for something that I consider critical but I also don't want to spend unnecessarily as the vehicle that sits on top will only be used sparingly.

Some say Bendpak is the best - then others say you are overpaying for the name - some say don't buy the made in China lifts - still others say they are all made in China, even the Bendpak. Prices seem to be about $500-$1000 difference for Bendpak vs the other "Auto-lifts" and other brands.

Any insight (and references for good installers in the Northern NJ/NY area) would be helpful!

2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I'm not one to usually say "search" but in this case, yes, do a search. Probably 100+ threads on lifts you will find here :)

3. njcycleguy

Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2008
    Northeast
    I've read thru past threads. I'm asking for current recommendations and thoughts - as well as installers in the NJ/NY region hence why I posted in this section.

Afonsolaw likes this.
  4. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I too am struggling with a similar decision. Storage is my objective as well. Without trying to sound snooty, the price differential for a Bendpak is justifiable because of the build quality and a better chance at support five or ten years from now. A Ferrari owner trying to save a thousand dollars on a lift is a little incongruent. I have heard horror stories on the cheaper lifts and since safety is more important to me than testing out my insurance carrier, I am leaning toward Bendpak. My struggle is which one - the 9ST (narrow) or the more full width model. JCM is a nationwide company with warehouses around the country and there is one on Long Island and I suspect in NJ as well. I am not sure though how affiliated they are with BendPak. In other words are they factory authorized to do BendPak installations, warranty and out of warranty repairs, etc. or do they just buy the lifts from BP and resell them? That's my next step - to clear that up.

cdicovskiy likes this.
  5. Cgk360

Cgk360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Njcycleguy,
    I have a Bendpack HD9 four post lift and love it. It performs flawlessly. I have my '63 Austin Healey on the lift and park my Scud under it. The optional drip trays come in handy as the Healy leaks oil from the rear crank seal, the tranny and the differential. As they saying goes, you know when to change the oil in a British car when it stops leaking. Buy the optional aluminum ramps too. Lightweight and easy to remove if needed. Consider buying the optional roller jacks if you want to be able to do wheel-off work while it's on the lift. If that is something you plan to do often, a two post lift might be better. Before buying anything, make sure you have enough ceiling height and concrete floor thickness. I also ran a 220V line and outlet to the ceiling to plug the lift's electric into. You will need an air compressor if you don't already have one.

I purchased my lift through Garage Equipment Supply and they recommended a local installer. It was assembled and installed within a few hours.

PM me if you want to discuss further.

Merlin Auto Group likes this.
  6. Cgk360

Cgk360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
  7. sasso1977

sasso1977 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2013
    long island ny
    Full Name:
    cesar
    got two lifts installed in my garage. paid 7500 for both. challenger is the brand . 7000lb capacity.so far ,so good.
    ace equipment in farmingdale.

8. njcycleguy

Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2008
    Northeast
    Seems like Bendpak is the way to go.

I spoke with a guy named Peter Imbibo (sp?) who came recommended to me and is local in NNJ. He has no affiliation with any lift manufacturer but explained in detail the differences between the Bendpaks vs the other brands. So based on his recommendation, I'm going with the Bendpak - it's a few bucks more but apparently well worth it. Will post pics once installed.

I have a TR so I want to ensure I have the width I need so I'm going with the standard HD-9.

The only negative to the Bendpak (which is actually a positive according to those I spoke with for safety reasons) is the pressure-based locks that require an air compressor to disengage. Fine by me, the $100 for a small compressor isn't a deal breaker.

And I'm told now the Bendpak color is gray - matching my garage much better. Will post pics once installed.

9. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    The lock release on the BendPak doesn't require much pressure. (under 20psi IIRC). Looking forward to hearing more as you go forward.

10. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    I have a superior lift- I just pulled my file on this for some info for you. I bought it around 2005 (model "SR-7H- not sure if they are still in business?). When shopping around, I found several manufacturers, all with the same products which made be think there was one main supplier just rebranded from company to company, then there were a couple of other brands- bendpack and back yard buddy I think?- which may have been slightly different, but very similar in design/specs (even similar model names!) Back then what I was finding was there were 4 basic 4-post lifts to choose from (I only wanted a 4 post)- there were regular height, SUV height, US or "foreign" steel. I bought the "SUV" height, made in USA/USA steel. I bought the lift from Superior only because that was the brand a local guy here on Fchat had (Todd Geiger- had/has a beautiful light blue 355 fiorano).

My lift does not require air pressure- you push the button to make the lift go up and inch or so and pull a lever to release the safety locks and can then let the car lower. I did get the optional aluminum ramps. The lift came with 3 drip trays and asked if they would throw in 3 more which they did, so I have 6- they are just plastic trays, but sometimes I have rear, mid or front engine cars parked on it (but 98% of the time a rear motor car- VW bug) so I figured I'd cover the hole area. I also bought a center support if you want to use a bottle jack- I've never used it though. I bought the lift for storage- the only light work that's been done with my lift is me changing the VW oil, and my brother in law changing the exhaust in his mustang (and my buddy changed the oil in his M3 once).

I did not wire my garage for 220V- just use a regular 110 outlet. The advantage of the 220 is the motor lifts faster- the disadvantage is you need to get an electrician to run a 220V line...

Superior had a local person come out to do the installation- in my notes it says Don Novak from Pro Automotive Equipment. I did have to have the piston changed a year or so ago-it was leaking a little. A guy who works locally to us in north NJ did it for me and was reasonably priced for the repair- he was recommended here on fchat- Peter Imbimbo- the same guy you were sent to!

-Andrew
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Vito

Vito Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    Dutchess County, NY
    I've had a Backyard Buddy lift since 2006 & it has been perfect. A friend has one too and has had his longer without an issue. These are made in Ohio and are easily assembled, three of us did it in an afternoon. The Backyard Buddy has a secure locking system, square legs and is available in a 110V system so there's no need for a 220 line if you don't have one in your garage already.

Caeruleus11 and TNICK like this.
  12. titanium430isback

titanium430isback Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2010
  13. Dai Baracca

Dai Baracca Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    subscribed....lost my storage area and now need to turn my 2 car into a 4 car:p
    appreciate all the info

14. RPM217

RPM217 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2007
    Rye Brook, NY
    Full Name:
    Roger
    I have a 20x20 garage, with 4 cars in it. I have a double wide BendPak. It has four posts, and room for 2 cars, with a 9,000lb capacity. The wider tracks are on the right side, and I have to put the GT on that side. In order to get in and out of the car, if I have the NSX on the other side, I have to get in the passenger side, and climb over to the driver's side, as there's only about 6" between the 2 cars. My 2 cars are very low, and I use RaceRamps to lead to the ramps to get the car on. Definitely get the aluminum ramps, I'm sorry I didn't, those stock ramps weigh a ton!!!

15. Horsin'around

Horsin'around Karting

Jun 14, 2017
    I am about to build a garage and plan on getting single arm lifts.

These look wonderful!

Any special considerations that need to be make when constructing the garage?

Any downside at all? 1 post vs 4 post

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    I have chain hung custom lifts. Park Plus for residential. More costly than 4 post.

17. njcycleguy

Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2008
    Northeast
    My original idea was to go with a single post - I preferred the smaller foot print and much better looks. As a matter of fact, I did all the work in my garage planning for 2 of them - but the single post requires bolting to the ground and I may need this lift to be mobile to move from my current garage to another. I also can move it with the caster kit within my current garage which can be helpful.

18. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The "only a few bucks more..." comments cracks me up. It's like the poster want to tell or repeat himself its "only a few bucks more" just to soften the blow on the wallet. :)

19. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike

Peter installed my 4 post garage lift in my garage (NJ) and he did very well. I found him on this site as well.

20. er72

er72 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2008
    Roslyn Harbor, NY
    Full Name:
    Eugene
    #20 er72, Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

There is also an option for a 2-post lift -- makes it significantly easier to maneuver another car under it. The one I have is Bendpak and it's ALI certified (unlike all the single post lifts I was able to find).

21. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Ditto on the single post lift from American Custom Lifts. It's definitely the way to go, leagues above 4 post lifts if your goal is primarily storage and detailing. Recommend them highly without reservation.

22. Nel1

Nel1 Karting

Jul 11, 2012
    In the two post lift, are the posts in the way for opening the car doors?

Thanks for sharing your comments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. greybeast

greybeast Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2011
    Long Island
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Statewide lifts in W Babylon sold me mine and installed it. I was gonna order a bendpak online and install myself then read that bendpak air locks fail due to condensation / rust after a while so i went with a full mechanical chinese - made lift. 7 or 8k lbs. I cant recall, but who cares? I’m putting 5k max on it anyway. Wired my 30 amp 220 line myself. Revolution lift - made by rotary. Very solid construction. Didnt need the aluminum ramps. Came with casters and drip trays. Really happy with the lift and the service. Yes the bendpak is rated at 9k lbs but figured it wont make a difference to me. And the cost was about the sane in the end. Sorry garage messy.

24. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    That's one fancy garage light.

Joe

25. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    The nice think with the 4 post (vs some of these single post applications)- no need to bolt to the ground (at least not in my case). Easier to install, and remove if selling the house- as hard as it is for us car guys to fathom, most buyers might not want a lift in a house they are buying

That is a nice garage- with those two cars in there! I didn't notice the light until you pointed it out, because I was thinking that's one fancy ceiling :)