What are TRs REALLY selling for? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

What are TRs REALLY selling for?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by PGrenier, Aug 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    It sounds like a very sound car. I admire you for planning to do a work commute in a Testa. I am sure there are some here with self-proclaimed major cojones who do it while changing gears with their teeth, but the practicalities are daunting, particularly the steering and the warmup period. My F512M only really feels happy with about 20-25 minutes decent driving, and it's never a joy around the underground car park where it lives.
    The best thing about the car, on a short commute, is exactly what you can't see - the sight of it.
    I did do the school run in my M for a week when my DD was in for service, and it was memorable for all the right reasons...but I'm not sure I could do it every day. Having said that, in the M at least, the throttle/clutch modulation is actually easier than in the manual Ferraris with drive by wire throttles - my 575 manual, a much newer car, is worse to drive in traffic.
    The noises, 2nd gear, etc, sound normal.
    Good luck!

2. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I don't want to be rude or impolite with you but you sound like a younger guy who has not driven older cars and is use to fully power assist newer cars and their modern comfort.
    I really have hard times to understand people saying a TR is hard to drive. Are you serious ??? This is a old exotic sport car. It can't be compared to your newer 911.

3. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I personally dont find it hard to drive bc im european and grew up with that.
    Once u master the clutch its easy but in the US people may not be used to it.
    HOWEVER before i bought mine i tried plenty and i can tell you that some i tried required much much muuuuch more leg strength to operate the clutch than others...maybe a sign that it was worn out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Maybe! Mine and others I drove where all easy for me. The hardest I owned was my 72 Pantera. The TR was a joy in comparision. Sure if I compare with my newer Vette it is harder but...........a newer car is NOT a old Ferrari.

5. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    the tr is a dream to drive,i have modern ferraris and just love the tr its one of my fav ive owned.shifting is easy clutch is very easy once ur moving steering feels like it has p/s just in parking lots takes a bit more no biggie.overall an amazing machine and brings a huge smile to my face everythime i drive her .

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  6. Natkingcolebasket69

I assume so, same thing with the clutch some need warming up some a lot less...

7. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    #57 godabitibi, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    I was tempted to talk about my friend's Diablo before your post but didn't, I guess from your user name you own one. I think the Diablo is as hard or harder to drive than the TR. Do you agree?
    I owned only 3 Ferraris, a early 308GTB, a Mondial 3.2 and the TR and all were easy to drive in my opinion.

8. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I drove a 360 once and if my memory serve me well it felt somewhat like my Vette. Newer.

9. Natkingcolebasket69

Wouldnt the countach top it all?

10. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Probably, but I only drove one once in 1990 out of the showroom and in the parking lot and can't really tell from my very short experience. But very frankly my 72 Pantera which was converted to a GT5 with the huge 285 in the front and the super hard clutch was unbeatable in the hard to drive experience.

11. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    I turned 51 on Saturday so unfortunately I am not "a younger guy" :)
    And I've owned/driven plenty of old cars. I currently own a 1972 'Vette with no power steering. My 'Vette is way easier to drive than that TR was.
    So what about the fact that the TR shouldn't be shifted from 1st to 2nd (only 1st to 3rd) for about 10 minutes until the car warms up. Is that accurate. Lets take a poll here: How many minutes do each of u TR owners wait before shifting from 1st into 2nd gear?

12. Natkingcolebasket69

I wait because told to but quite frankly my car shifts so smooth.
    Only reason the vette is easier is the size of the TR tyres. Thats what make it truck like.

13. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I have no problem shifting my TR into 2nd when cold!

14. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    My 308 was very easy to shift in 2nd at any time, my Mondial was a NO WAY in 2nd until warm. My TR was ok for 2nd when cold but much better after I changed the oil to Redline NS.

Sorry about my comment on your age.

15. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    yes i owned a vt and sv diablo the clutch was much heavier on diablo but i always had a great time driving them and id love to own another one again but prices are too high .i dont think there difficult to drive they there true classic ferraris that you have to do all the driving and not all the power stuff we have in our new cars i have a few 80s muscle cars an iroc and saleen mustang and driving those are take more than newer ones but i prefer my 80s for now.tr are a great buy right now and so much for the money imo

16. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    I had no problem shifting my 328 or Daytona from 1st to 2nd when cold. But when I became a friend and customer of Patrick Ottis he suggested I shift 1st to 3rd until things are warmed up. He described it as being kind to your gear box and better for its long term well being. Not a big sacrifice in my mind.

So after that the way I drove all of my Ferraris was start the car, when the water temp came up to the first line it was time to pull out, shift 1st to 3rd until the oil temp came up to the first line, then normal 1st to 2nd.

It was just a good habit.

17. Pav

Pav Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 18, 2006
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    Michal
    From my experience
    328 GTB - no problem from shifting 1-2 when cold. Car had a recent oil service and clutch and gearbox overhaul
    GTB Turbo (328 Based) - no way i could do 1-2 when cold. Gearbox serviced 6+ years ago
    328 GTS - no way i could do 1-2 when cold. Gearbox serviced 6+ years ago
    348TB - no way i could do 1-2 when cold. Gearbox serviced 6+ years ago
    Testarossa - no problem from shifting 1-2 when cold. Car had a new clutch and full engine rebuilt performed recently.
    Each of these cars are equipped with the 5-speed dogleg, as you know.

I do believe it depends how long ago the gearbox and clutch was overhauled, but I am telling from my own driving experience...

18. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    Same here. I like to daily drive mine 1 week every summer weather permitting and just wish I could make the car my full time daily I find it's that easy to drive.
    When I test drove it, not 5 mins in to the drive I took a turn down a side street that was under construction with all the pavement removed ahead.
    I banged a 3pt turn on a road lined with sidewalk curbing with no problem at all. And this was in fact my first time driving any Ferrari.
    Owner looked over at me and said you'll have no problem owning and driving this car. So yeah I just don't get the whole Tr's are hard to drive thing either.

19. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    I just drove my 85 TR from Quebec City to Montreal today and got stuck in ultra heavy traffic for 30 minutes due to a major accident on the highway. I had to play with the clutch all that time. Ok it's not your Toyota Corrolla but...what a blast and not a blah car. So if you can't handle the clutch, stick, steering, low but oh incredible road stance, please just move to another part of this forum where there are more modern and less soulfull Ferrari.
    As Claude said I don't want to be rude but I'm getting tired of TR critics.
    Just get a 911 and be happy...elsewhere.
    Sorry but my TR is an incredible car that gives me miles, smiles and a very good ROI since I bought it.
    And a lot of thumbs up!

20. Natkingcolebasket69

Agreed. The only thing that i regret in the TR is , at times, the handling... i like to push it and i often scare myself a little mostly bc i know if i mess up its game over.
    Again its a 30 year old car so it's understandable but it rolls a bit.

21. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    Hey pal, but I already own a 911. Have also owned a TON of other high-end cars in the past

And you know what? Not only CAN I handle a clutch, stick, steering and a low road stance.....I can a also walk and chew gum at the same time. Amazing, huh?

Sheesh, I was just commenting on the TR that I drove for 8 freak'n minutes in West Hollywood, CA. Not sure if you've ever left "up North" so I will inform you that area is a busy neighborhood to drive a model of car that I've never had prior experience with.

I'm not sure where u get the thought that I am a TR critic??? I am simply was considering buying one, posted my experience with that SPECIFIC car, and asked if all TR's drove like that. Just looking for some UNBIASED feedback.

So you like your car and get a lot of "thumbs-up". You know who else says that? Porsche owners, Lambo owners, Mustang owners, Vette owners, and owners of every manufacturer/model ever made. So congrats.

If you love TR's (as much as you are trying to convince yourself that you do) then you should help welcome new seekers to the 'TR club'......and not suggest in a snarky manner that they go "be happy elsewhere".

Thankyou

are

22. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    tr is not gonna be for everyone .i think u didnt give it much time.if you put redline trans oil it will shift better,the looks alone does it for me.i live in the area you test drove ur lucky to get through all gears too much traffic ,take a well sorted tr out for a drive open road and wind it up and you make want one again,and if its not for you no biggie,some of my friends think im crazy to fully restore my 88 iroc t top 5.7 car but didnt do it for them did it for me.hope you find what your looking for happy hunting

23. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    I just love the look

Attached Files:

24. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    Blk-

I LOVE the look of the TR. Always have. No problem there.

Keep in mind I was on a short dealer test drive. If I could've drove it for hours on a long canyon road I would've :)

25. Natkingcolebasket69

Looks fresh with shiny tubi!