Ferrari 550 for sale with 166 000 miles! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 550 for sale with 166 000 miles!

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Sajmik, Jul 28, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    I just bought a 550 with 66,000 miles and it's been kept in better condition than some 20k mile examples I saw. Both master Ferrari mechanics told me that they will easily go 200k miles if properly maintained.

DOWORKFCAR likes this.
  2. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    Ha, that could be my 550 :)

65,000 miles and in perfect condition.....

But it will never be for sale !

Cheers,

Bill

vijaya21 likes this.
  3. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    And "Ferrari master mechanic's" have a lot of experience with 200.000m cars ?

4. Somersett

Somersett Rookie

Sep 30, 2015
    England
    I loooked at a dozen 456's before I bought mine, one had only 9000 miles. Came to the conclusion that I like the early cars much more both inside and out.
    Was disappointed that I did not feel any improvement in handling or smoothness with the M. In fact there was far more variation between individual cars. It was
    clear that several of the "low mileage" cars weren't. So you were paying over the odds for something that clearly wasn't real. The three genuine low mileage cars looked great but all drove in a way I can only describe as 'joyless' and would have needed much work to bring them up to standard - if indeed the lack of
    use hadn't injured them in some way permanently. All cars were 6 -speed manual.
    I eventually bought a 1994 GT in blue pozzi with cream interior with 74,000 miles and good history. It was in great condition with amazingly little to give
    away the mileage other than the fact that it was sweeter, crisper and much faster than any other car I tried. It is in the garage currently having some of the
    normal issues sorted - window sealing, fuel pump mounts and while I was doing belts and valve clearances (just for my reassurance, They were done 2 years
    ago) I had one of the heads pulled. The bores looked like they were just run in! I had the shocks rebuilt by Bilstein when I first bought it but felt that the fronts
    we're still too soft so they are revalving them based on the 550 but with extra rebound damping around the natural suspension frequency.
    I can't wait to get it back and start piling on the miles! If you really want a great V12,put aside the market's prejudice and look for a well maintained high miler,
    you will enjoy a great driving car and get it at a bargain price as well.

JayEff likes this.
  5. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    I'm pushing 80,000 miles since my last post :)
    I drive from Los Angeles to Las Vegas once a month and I think that contributes to how well the car runs... they do love to be driven.
    The car is perfect in every way ! But So is the way I maintain it the guys in Vegas check all the fluids and everything else when I get there, then it gets washed and waxed :) it's a very happy car.
    Cheers,
    Bill

NE550 likes this.
  6. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Why not indeed. I've just spoken with a friend who has had his 400 for over twenty years, drives it constantly and presently has 174,000 miles - that's 280,000 kilometers - on the car. Has rebuilt the engine two or three times and has just enjoyed the very hell out of it. Bear in mind that Mr. Ferrari did not build his cars to stay in garages or on exhibition in museums, he built them to race at le Mans or Spa-Francorchamps full bore for twenty-four hours -- and win, then back to Maranello for preparation for the next races, maybe 1000 miles at the Mille Miglia or 1000 km at the 'Ring or in Buenos Aires or Venezuela.

7. DOWORKFCAR

DOWORKFCAR Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2016
    I 100% agree! My 550 just turned over 46k miles and it is in incredible shape for the age and mileage! Let her sing!

F456M likes this.
  8. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Come on! Any Kia or Peugeot will run 500.000 miles today if serviced (at the long intervals). To say that 50.000 miles is a high milage on a modern V12 Ferrari is just so plain ********. I have no words. Every Ferrari mechanic knows that a Maranello will do 200.000 miles if taken care of. A rebuild with new piston rings, valve guides, and all mew gaskets will cost a few thousands, but well worth it with a car of this caliber!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Bas likes this.
  9. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Agree. Mine has 49K miles on it and runs like a dream. Truth is that cars are like people. If you don’t use (drive) them they dry out.:)

10. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    There was a 512BB at the workshop in Modena that had done 240.000 kms. without the engine being rebuild since new.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Bas likes this.