first trip to Hawaii | Page 2 | FerrariChat

first trip to Hawaii

Discussion in 'Travel' started by rob lay, Feb 9, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nate Johnson

Nate Johnson Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2006
    USA
    I think Lodge at Koele on Lanai is closed for renovations. It is a very nice hotel like Boo says. Lanai is not like the other islands. It feels more wild. It was once the Dole plantation. The inhabitants are largely labor who emigrated from Philippines. There are few native Hawaiians here. Molokai is even wilder, in a good way. The population is largely native Hawaiian.
    Oahu is the most popular island for first time visits for a reason. It is a very cosmopolitan place. My Dad calls Honolulu "L.A? West"! There are plenty of things to do and see. You could spend a couple weeks there very easily, if you're doing it right. Eat fresh fish from the ocean (there are myriad charters or world class restaurants), lay on a beach, wander through a garden, see 'Iolani Palace. Hawai'i is a beautiful state and Aloha is a real feeling.
    I hope this doesn't sound too hokey but: to really experience what Hawaiian culture has, bring a good attitude, not a to-do list.

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #27 rob lay, Jul 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I think we have a good plan together for our first Hawaii trip.

8 full days focusing on Oahu.

3 days/3 night Waikiki MOANA SURFRIDER, day of Pearl Harbor, day of Marlin fishing.

5 days/4 nights Turtle Bay just to relax and then we'll drive from there hikes etc.

The Kuliouou Ridge Trail would be perfect for us with Mia, but we wonder how hard to drive to early in morning from Turtle Bay. Mileage wise it doesn't look bad, but would this be a nightmare driving to and back during the day?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    For my own documentation listing some trails good for family close to Turtle Bay:

Banyan Tree Route - 2.4 miles located at Turtle Bay
    Turtle Bay and Kulima Golf Course Trails - 7 miles located at Turtle Bay
    Turtle Bay To Kahuku Point - 2.3 miles located at Turtle Bay
    Pupukea-Paumalu Trail - 9.4 miles located within 10 miles Turtle Bay
    Kaunala Trail - 5.3 miles moderate climb located within 20 miles Turtle Bay
    Malaekahana State Recreation Area - 6 miles difficult climb within 10 miles Turtle Bay
    Laie Falls Trail - 7.9 miles moderate climb within 10 miles Turtle Bay
    Wailele Falls Trail PRIVATE - 3.9 miles easy within 10 miles Turtle Bay
    Kaipapa'u Makai - 2.4 mile easy for kids within 15 miles Turtle Bay

4. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    I've spent most winters for the past nearly 40 years on Maui. Cumulatively nearly 10 years time. Done Oahu and Molokai too. They are all great. I always tell folks - go look at a globe and see where Hawaii is in the middle of the ocean...you can't go wrong once the plane lands. Good scenery, food, surf, etc. await anywhere you go. Aloha!

5. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Traffic and drive times can be tough to predict but it's usually worse than you expect.
    That being said, early mornings are typically light.
    It would be an easier drive from Waikiki but it sounds like your time there is spoken for.
    Take the drive down the windward (east) side and use it as an opportunity to sightsee that side of the island. Lots of photogenic views and beaches you can stop at if the urge strikes
    You're gonna have a great trip

6. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Since you mentioned Magnum. Head down to Kahala, it's where they shot the King Kamehameha club. Also a mid century masterpiece of a hotel by Ed Killingsworth - subsequently mostly ruined, but if you're an architecture fan, it's worth a visit with some old photos.
    And you can swim with dolphins.

7. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    As far as visiting robins nest there is a park about 3 houses down from the estate that you can park at and then walk down the beach right to the tidal pool and little beach in front of the estate. The only thing is when the tide comes in the beach is covered so you will want to check when the tide will be coming in. I spent a good 3 hours in the tidal pool when I was on Oahu and it is a beautiful spot.

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    6 years later. We ended up having a great time on O'ahu. Good mix of beach, fine dining, resort life, hiking, marlin fishing, and Pearl Harbor.

Mia wants to go back this summer. I think we'll pick a different island. Maui this time? We won't have longer than a week. I was still married last time we went, this time not sure Lin will be able to join us. Might just be Mia (16) and me, but I might consider Mia taking a friend or finding a buddy w/kid.

rob likes this.
  9. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Big Island is kind of cool. Might be able to see some lava doing its thing.

10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Depends what you want to do. Maui is more touristy but she'll have more to do. Give her a credit card and send her shopping.

I enjoy driving the circumference of the island. Some of the roads kind of crummy but lots of little towns especially Hana side that are interesting. Charles Lindbergh and his wife were very reclusive last half of their lives and lived over there. Are buried in a tiny cemetery over there. Takes most of a day for the drive but I enjoy it.

Kaui is the most natural. Many movies made there. Jurassic Park, South Pacific the pilot for Gilligans Island. They have a law no buildings taller than a palm tree so nothing blocking your view. Robinson Family Trust owns about 30% of the island (as opposed to 100% of Niihau) and nothing is allowed to be built on it. Also as opposed to Niihau it is all open to the public. Not tons to do there except explore and relax so she may get bored. Pretty cool to take one of the boat rides around the island. I really prefer Northshore but it is the quieter side with even less to do for your daughter. Lots of very cool old Hawaii there though.

Long time ago I lived on Big Island for a while. Its changed a lot but its big attraction is the volcano. Back in the 70's it had some pretty good roads but there are about 3 times as many people and cars now. Waterworld was filmed in Kawaihae harbor.

rob lay likes this.