Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Other Cars > Maserati

Reply
 
Share/Bookmark LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 04-12-2012, 02:53 PM
Portenos's Avatar
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Seattle
Full Name: Portenos
Posts: 1,279
3500 Detail Photos Engine Chassis & Interior

With this thread it is my intention to capture as many detailed photos of 3500's as possible.
I would like the focus of the photography to remain with details and NOT fancy pancy (Mandarano phonics) arty farty sunset shots.
Lets post photos of engines from all angles, interiors, chassis, trunks, tools and tool kits, Jacks and jack bags etc etc. including close ups of all of the above.
These photos will be very helpful for those of us who are restoring or will in the future be restoring these pieces of rolling art.
Yes, please try to post chassis numbers with photos when known. This is a MUST.
I will start it off with some engine photos.
These are photos of AM101.708 with a build date of Nov 1959 delivered to SF Feb 1060. These photos were taken directly after my purchase Oct 29 2010.
Here you can see the addition of some aftermarket air horns installed in the late 1960's. They have been subsequently removed. Everything else seems to be relatively original down to the black 5 mm wiring, red coils and air cleaner with stickers. Note the air cleaner is NOT wrinkle painted.

Ciao,
FGM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Air Cleaner.jpg (91.3 KB, 696 views)
File Type: jpg Engine Center.jpg (60.9 KB, 704 views)
File Type: jpg Engine.jpg (107.6 KB, 707 views)
Reply With Quote
Non-Sponsor Ads
  #2  
Old 04-13-2012, 02:30 AM
3500 GT's Avatar
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USA
Full Name: Gentleman Racer
Posts: 958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portenos View Post
With this thread it is my intention to capture as many detailed photos of 3500's as possible.
I would like the focus of the photography to remain with details and NOT fancy pancy (Mandarano phonics) arty farty sunset shots.
Lets post photos of engines from all angles, interiors, chassis, trunks, tools and tool kits, Jacks and jack bags etc etc. including close ups of all of the above.
These photos will be very helpful for those of us who are restoring or will in the future be restoring these pieces of rolling art.
Yes, please try to post chassis numbers with photos when known. This is a MUST.
I will start it off with some engine photos.
These are photos of AM101.708 with a build date of Nov 1959 delivered to SF Feb 1060. These photos were taken directly after my purchase Oct 29 2010.
Here you can see the addition of some aftermarket air horns installed in the late 1960's. They have been subsequently removed. Everything else seems to be relatively original down to the black 5 mm wiring, red coils and air cleaner with stickers. Note the air cleaner is NOT wrinkle painted.

Ciao,
FGM
Great idea Frank,.......here is something most of you Maserati fans will enjoy. An ORIGINAL NOS "chassis lube maintiance sticker" from Maserait Corp. of America. Westbury L.I. (Long Island N.Y.) It would be placed on your inner door to show when an oil change/chassis lube/tune up etc. was performed. I am reproducing these from my collection, and they are for sale. If you would like one send me a PM.

Also a photo of an original unrestored differential/third member/pumpkin photo from #886 with original factory paint markings designating gear raito and original red paint.

Hope this is "something" for you all.

Ciao and best!

~Trev
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zzzz111aaaa 001.jpg (176.6 KB, 679 views)
File Type: jpg zzzz111aaaa 002.jpg (199.5 KB, 678 views)
File Type: jpg zzzz111aaaa 003.jpg (213.2 KB, 675 views)

Last edited by 3500 GT; 04-13-2012 at 02:35 AM. Reason: .
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-14-2012, 02:00 PM
Portenos's Avatar
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Seattle
Full Name: Portenos
Posts: 1,279
Interesting oil stickers. I am not sure I would want one in my door jam.
Your photo of the pumpkin does not look orange in the photo?
Question, what does the original factory paint markings designating gear ratio say?
I cannot read it.

Here are a couple photos of the engine compartment of 686 prior to reinstalling the rebuilt engine. Note all the non original stuff, like the fuel filters and 100mm fresh air hose.
Then there is that very useful engine compartment light which to be original.
Ciao
FGM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04552.jpg (62.3 KB, 638 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04553.jpg (64.6 KB, 636 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04554.jpg (38.9 KB, 636 views)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-15-2012, 04:23 AM
3500 GT's Avatar
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USA
Full Name: Gentleman Racer
Posts: 958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portenos View Post
Interesting oil stickers. I am not sure I would want one in my door jam.
Your photo of the pumpkin does not look orange in the photo?
Question, what does the original factory paint markings designating gear ratio say?
I cannot read it. FGM

Frank the third member is factory red. It doesn't show in the photos well, but it is red/orange. The markings are still covered with 50 years of oil, so untill I remove all the oil, with out removing the paint I can't tell you. But that's what they desiginate.

If you want a Maserati Corp of America/Castrol decal,..........


~Ciao and best!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-15-2012, 02:51 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Pleasanton, Ca
Full Name: Eugene O'Gorman
Posts: 177
Here are some pictures of my 3500 Vignale Spyder engine compartment with the engine out. I believe this is still original as is, except for the coils and brake fluid resovoir which were repainted many years ago I plan to repaint it before the engine goes back in. Note the frame is the same red-orange as the center section on the rear end where the black and undercoat are missing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vig engine removal 12-2011 084.jpg (71.1 KB, 581 views)
File Type: jpg Vig engine removal 12-2011 085.jpg (80.2 KB, 583 views)
File Type: jpg Vig engine removal 12-2011 086.jpg (68.9 KB, 577 views)
File Type: jpg Vig engine removal 12-2011 087.jpg (53.0 KB, 575 views)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-15-2012, 03:15 PM
Portenos's Avatar
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Seattle
Full Name: Portenos
Posts: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by eogorman View Post
Here are some pictures of my 3500 Vignale Spyder engine compartment with the engine out. I believe this is still original as is, except for the coils and brake fluid resovoir which were repainted many years ago I plan to repaint it before the engine goes back in. Note the frame is the same red-orange as the center section on the rear end where the black and undercoat are missing
Gene,
In you photos I find the aluminum with knurling on the driver side interesting and am curious about your Vignale's DOM (date of Mfg) and the vin # which will help in putting together this on going puzzle.
My Latina car #686 and my Mitchell car # 708 both with a DOM of Nov, Dec 1959 do not have this feature, nor do they have the fairing for the 100mm fresh air tube as yours clearly does. Thinking out loud I am wondering when they started this feature?
Ciao,
FGM
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-15-2012, 04:16 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Pleasanton, Ca
Full Name: Eugene O'Gorman
Posts: 177
Re Engine compartment pictures.

The vin# on my car is 1119 and the date of mfg is Feb 1961. The engine turning on the aluminum was not on all cars, I have seen several Vignale Spyders and coupes made later that did not have that feature. As we have seen with maserati some do and some do not and the fact that the body makers are different may be related. With regard to the aluminum cover for the fresh air hose, ihave seen this on most of the Vignale Spyders but do not remember it on the coupes
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-15-2012, 11:41 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 74
Gene and Frank, I have seen many 3500 coupes with the fresh air duct fairing on the inner fender housing and also most with the aluminum machine turned trim around the hood opening. #952 is the first one that I noticed the fairing. #1466 is one of the last ones with the metal air cleaner housing and #1480 is one of the first ones with the fiberglass air cleaner plenum and the filter element residing in the right front fender.
All the above mentioned 3500's have the fairing and the aluminum hood opening trim and they are shown in order.
Hope this illuminates the subject a little.
Larry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1008.JPG (78.6 KB, 556 views)
File Type: jpg engine.jpg (52.5 KB, 554 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (68.6 KB, 553 views)
Reply With Quote
Non-Sponsor Ads
  #9  
Old 04-18-2012, 03:46 PM
Portenos's Avatar
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Seattle
Full Name: Portenos
Posts: 1,279
I will be in Modena next week and will try to get some detail photos of 3500's done by our Italian friends and see if there is any differences in their restoration techniques.
Ciao,
FGM
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-20-2012, 06:06 PM
Portenos's Avatar
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Seattle
Full Name: Portenos
Posts: 1,279
As fitted to 101.686
A view of the early oil filter as mounted on the right front fender well. My guess is that the filter was moved from under the Webers to this location for ease in access.
Next we have the high pressure oil line that feeds the head and left cam.
Next is the early water pump.
Last is a shot of the original fresh air tubbing clamp.
Note the non original parts ( fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator) in the first photo have been removed.
Ciao,
FGM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1515.jpg (58.2 KB, 470 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1518.jpg (43.1 KB, 470 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1522.jpg (63.7 KB, 474 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1696.jpg (42.2 KB, 471 views)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-29-2012, 02:52 PM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Oslo, Norway
Full Name: Gabriel R.G. Benito
Posts: 1,078
Here's a picture of the engine of #1134, a late 1960 3500GT, taken earlier today at our season opening event.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AM.101.1134.jpg (62.1 KB, 415 views)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-30-2012, 02:01 AM
Portenos's Avatar
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Seattle
Full Name: Portenos
Posts: 1,279
Here are some photos of my latest purchase making this car the third early 3500 in my stable.
This is 101.916. As you can see it is in need of a complete make over, including all hydraulics and chassis tuning. It is missing the complete front and rear wind screen chrome which will be a challenge. If you have some chrome laying around please let me know, otherwise i will check out the cost to reproduce while in Modena today.
I have not seen the car as yet, so I am looking forward to getting my hands on it when I get back to Seattle.
Ciao,
FGM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_5208.jpg (53.7 KB, 381 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_5209.jpg (63.6 KB, 381 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_5210.jpg (58.4 KB, 385 views)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-30-2012, 04:31 AM
wbaeumer's Avatar
F1 Veteran
Consultant
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 7,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portenos View Post
Here are some photos of my latest purchase making this car the third early 3500 in my stable.
This is 101.916. As you can see it is in need of a complete make over, including all hydraulics and chassis tuning. It is missing the complete front and rear wind screen chrome which will be a challenge. If you have some chrome laying around please let me know, otherwise i will check out the cost to reproduce while in Modena today.
I have not seen the car as yet, so I am looking forward to getting my hands on it when I get back to Seattle.
Ciao,
FGM
Ah...the ex-Mark Fishaut-car!
__________________
Ciao!
Walter
www.internationalMASERATIresearch.com
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-30-2012, 04:27 PM
Portenos's Avatar
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Seattle
Full Name: Portenos
Posts: 1,279
3500 4 speed Repair

Today I was up early after a great nights sleep at the Milan Sheraton Diana. Had my usual doppio Cappuccino and then headed over to the shipping agent to take delivery of my 3500 transmission that was air freighted to Italy to be fine tuned by one of the best transmission guys in the world.
I then headed off to Modena with a stop at the autogrill for another double shot and then back at it.
Traffic was light and i was able to cruise at 140 (KPH). I arrived in Modena with a stop at Candiniís where I found none other that sig Cozza and Adolfo Orsi. All thee of them were in deep discussion on how to fix a Frua Bodied 200SI Spyder which seemed to have a clutch release problem. Cozza looked fantastic and as young as ever. Adolfo, well he could use a shave. The car looked to be completely restored and very lovely.
It was then off to my transmission guy whom I have known for over 30 years, to deliver the Gearbox. To my surprise he got right into it and within 2 hours had it completely disassembled and diagnosed.
An amazing guy.
I then headed over to the Canalgrande Hotel where the mgr. Sig Bianco had reserved my favorite room, the one with the large bathroom and windows on the garden. Tonight I will be enjoying the mixed grill at Daniloís, my favorite restaurant.
Luciano the transmission guy worked at Maserati in the 50's 60's and 70's and is all set up to do these gearboxes. He has all the special tools and pullers and knows just where to tap with his drift and hammer. I felt honored to be assisting him. He immediately identified several problems that had taken place during the prior assembly including incorrect detent springs and 1 missing detent ball bearing. He pointed out some other things in Italian while waving his hands, but it was hard for me to understand. At this point it doesn't look too serious ie $$$. With some luck he should have it finished up in a few days.

From Modena

Ciao,
FGM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1768.jpg (77.9 KB, 357 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1770.jpg (74.1 KB, 356 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1771.jpg (75.3 KB, 357 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1779.jpg (64.4 KB, 357 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1780.jpg (78.1 KB, 355 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1781.jpg (61.3 KB, 352 views)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-30-2012, 06:54 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 797
Fantastico :-)

Great thread!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-01-2012, 01:13 AM
Karting
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 164
tranny guts

Great shots Frank! Please keep them coming!
RF.
Reply With Quote
Non-Sponsor Ads
  #17  
Old 05-01-2012, 02:44 AM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portenos View Post
how to fix a Frua Bodied 200SI Spyder which seemed to have a clutch release problem. .FGM
Can ypu please be more specific: What is a Frua-bodied 200SI?

Regards

Wolfi
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-01-2012, 10:14 AM
wbaeumer's Avatar
F1 Veteran
Consultant
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 7,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portenos View Post
Today I was up early after a great nights sleep at the Milan Sheraton Diana. Had my usual doppio Cappuccino and then headed over to the shipping agent to take delivery of my 3500 transmission that was air freighted to Italy to be fine tuned by one of the best transmission guys in the world.
I then headed off to Modena with a stop at the autogrill for another double shot and then back at it.
Traffic was light and i was able to cruise at 140 (KPH). I arrived in Modena with a stop at Candini’s where I found none other that sig Cozza and Adolfo Orsi. All thee of them were in deep discussion on how to fix a Frua Bodied 200SI Spyder which seemed to have a clutch release problem. Cozza looked fantastic and as young as ever. Adolfo, well he could use a shave. The car looked to be completely restored and very lovely.
It was then off to my transmission guy whom I have known for over 30 years, to deliver the Gearbox. To my surprise he got right into it and within 2 hours had it completely disassembled and diagnosed.
An amazing guy.
I then headed over to the Canalgrande Hotel where the mgr. Sig Bianco had reserved my favorite room, the one with the large bathroom and windows on the garden. Tonight I will be enjoying the mixed grill at Danilo’s, my favorite restaurant.
Luciano the transmission guy worked at Maserati in the 50's 60's and 70's and is all set up to do these gearboxes. He has all the special tools and pullers and knows just where to tap with his drift and hammer. I felt honored to be assisting him. He immediately identified several problems that had taken place during the prior assembly including incorrect detent springs and 1 missing detent ball bearing. He pointed out some other things in Italian while waving his hands, but it was hard for me to understand. At this point it doesn't look too serious ie $$$. With some luck he should have it finished up in a few days.

From Modena

Ciao,
FGM
Frank,
the " Frua Bodied 200SI Spyder" you mentioned is in fact the 150S #03, a one-off by Frua.
The car belongs to a friend of mine in Switzerland ad has been restored in CH and in England by Steve Hart.
__________________
Ciao!
Walter
www.internationalMASERATIresearch.com
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-01-2012, 01:25 PM
Portenos's Avatar
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Seattle
Full Name: Portenos
Posts: 1,279
150S

Thank you Walter. the Swiss chap seemed to be a very nice guy.
FGM
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-01-2012, 08:33 PM
wbaeumer's Avatar
F1 Veteran
Consultant
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 7,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portenos View Post
Thank you Walter. the Swiss chap seemed to be a very nice guy.
FGM
Yep - and a great enthusiast too!
__________________
Ciao!
Walter
www.internationalMASERATIresearch.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:23 PM.


FerrariChat.com has no association with Ferrari S.p.A.
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.