3500 Detail Photos Engine Chassis & Interior | FerrariChat

3500 Detail Photos Engine Chassis & Interior

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Portenos, Apr 12, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    #1 Portenos, Apr 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    With this thread it is my intention to capture as many detailed photos of 3500's as possible.
    I would like the focus of the photography to remain with details and NOT fancy pancy (Mandarano phonics) arty farty sunset shots.
    Lets post photos of engines from all angles, interiors, chassis, trunks, tools and tool kits, Jacks and jack bags etc etc. including close ups of all of the above.
    These photos will be very helpful for those of us who are restoring or will in the future be restoring these pieces of rolling art.
    Yes, please try to post chassis numbers with photos when known. This is a MUST.
    I will start it off with some engine photos.
    These are photos of AM101.708 with a build date of Nov 1959 delivered to SF Feb 1060. These photos were taken directly after my purchase Oct 29 2010.
    Here you can see the addition of some aftermarket air horns installed in the late 1960's. They have been subsequently removed. Everything else seems to be relatively original down to the black 5 mm wiring, red coils and air cleaner with stickers. Note the air cleaner is NOT wrinkle painted.

Ciao,
    FGM
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    #2 3500 GT, Apr 13, 2012
    Great idea Frank,.......here is something most of you Maserati fans will enjoy. An ORIGINAL NOS "chassis lube maintiance sticker" from Maserait Corp. of America. Westbury L.I. (Long Island N.Y.) It would be placed on your inner door to show when an oil change/chassis lube/tune up etc. was performed. I am reproducing these from my collection, and they are for sale. If you would like one send me a PM.

Also a photo of an original unrestored differential/third member/pumpkin photo from #886 with original factory paint markings designating gear raito and original red paint.

Hope this is "something" for you all.

Ciao and best!

~Trev

3. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    #3 Portenos, Apr 14, 2012
    Interesting oil stickers. I am not sure I would want one in my door jam.:)
    Your photo of the pumpkin does not look orange in the photo?
    Question, what does the original factory paint markings designating gear ratio say?
    I cannot read it.

Here are a couple photos of the engine compartment of 686 prior to reinstalling the rebuilt engine. Note all the non original stuff, like the fuel filters and 100mm fresh air hose.
    Then there is that very useful engine compartment light which to be original.
    Ciao
    FGM

4. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer

Frank the third member is factory red. It doesn't show in the photos well, but it is red/orange. The markings are still covered with 50 years of oil, so untill I remove all the oil, with out removing the paint I can't tell you. But that's what they desiginate.

If you want a Maserati Corp of America/Castrol decal,..........:)

~Ciao and best!

5. eogorman

eogorman Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Buhl, ID
    Full Name:
    Eugene O'Gorman
    #5 eogorman, Apr 15, 2012
    Here are some pictures of my 3500 Vignale Spyder engine compartment with the engine out. I believe this is still original as is, except for the coils and brake fluid resovoir which were repainted many years ago I plan to repaint it before the engine goes back in. Note the frame is the same red-orange as the center section on the rear end where the black and undercoat are missing

6. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Gene,
    In you photos I find the aluminum with knurling on the driver side interesting and am curious about your Vignale's DOM (date of Mfg) and the vin # which will help in putting together this on going puzzle.
    My Latina car #686 and my Mitchell car # 708 both with a DOM of Nov, Dec 1959 do not have this feature, nor do they have the fairing for the 100mm fresh air tube as yours clearly does. Thinking out loud I am wondering when they started this feature?
    Ciao,
    FGM

7. eogorman

eogorman Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Buhl, ID
    Full Name:
    Eugene O'Gorman
    The vin# on my car is 1119 and the date of mfg is Feb 1961. The engine turning on the aluminum was not on all cars, I have seen several Vignale Spyders and coupes made later that did not have that feature. As we have seen with maserati some do and some do not and the fact that the body makers are different may be related. With regard to the aluminum cover for the fresh air hose, ihave seen this on most of the Vignale Spyders but do not remember it on the coupes

8. carnutz

carnutz Karting

Aug 11, 2008
    #8 carnutz, Apr 15, 2012
    Gene and Frank, I have seen many 3500 coupes with the fresh air duct fairing on the inner fender housing and also most with the aluminum machine turned trim around the hood opening. #952 is the first one that I noticed the fairing. #1466 is one of the last ones with the metal air cleaner housing and #1480 is one of the first ones with the fiberglass air cleaner plenum and the filter element residing in the right front fender.
    All the above mentioned 3500's have the fairing and the aluminum hood opening trim and they are shown in order.
    Hope this illuminates the subject a little.
    Larry

9. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    I will be in Modena next week and will try to get some detail photos of 3500's done by our Italian friends and see if there is any differences in their restoration techniques.
    Ciao,
    FGM

10. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    #10 Portenos, Apr 20, 2012
    As fitted to 101.686
    A view of the early oil filter as mounted on the right front fender well. My guess is that the filter was moved from under the Webers to this location for ease in access.
    Next we have the high pressure oil line that feeds the head and left cam.
    Next is the early water pump.
    Last is a shot of the original fresh air tubbing clamp.
    Note the non original parts ( fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator) in the first photo have been removed.
    Ciao,
    FGM

11. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    #11 Merak1974, Apr 29, 2012
  12. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    #12 Portenos, Apr 30, 2012
    Here are some photos of my latest purchase making this car the third early 3500 in my stable.
    This is 101.916. As you can see it is in need of a complete make over, including all hydraulics and chassis tuning. It is missing the complete front and rear wind screen chrome which will be a challenge. If you have some chrome laying around please let me know, otherwise i will check out the cost to reproduce while in Modena today.
    I have not seen the car as yet, so I am looking forward to getting my hands on it when I get back to Seattle.
    Ciao,
    FGM

13. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Ah...the ex-Mark Fishaut-car!

14. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    #14 Portenos, Apr 30, 2012
    Today I was up early after a great nights sleep at the Milan Sheraton Diana. Had my usual doppio Cappuccino and then headed over to the shipping agent to take delivery of my 3500 transmission that was air freighted to Italy to be fine tuned by one of the best transmission guys in the world.
    I then headed off to Modena with a stop at the autogrill for another double shot and then back at it.
    Traffic was light and i was able to cruise at 140 (KPH). I arrived in Modena with a stop at Candini’s where I found none other that sig Cozza and Adolfo Orsi. All thee of them were in deep discussion on how to fix a Frua Bodied 200SI Spyder which seemed to have a clutch release problem. Cozza looked fantastic and as young as ever. Adolfo, well he could use a shave. The car looked to be completely restored and very lovely.
    It was then off to my transmission guy whom I have known for over 30 years, to deliver the Gearbox. To my surprise he got right into it and within 2 hours had it completely disassembled and diagnosed.
    An amazing guy.
    I then headed over to the Canalgrande Hotel where the mgr. Sig Bianco had reserved my favorite room, the one with the large bathroom and windows on the garden. Tonight I will be enjoying the mixed grill at Danilo’s, my favorite restaurant.
    Luciano the transmission guy worked at Maserati in the 50's 60's and 70's and is all set up to do these gearboxes. He has all the special tools and pullers and knows just where to tap with his drift and hammer. I felt honored to be assisting him. He immediately identified several problems that had taken place during the prior assembly including incorrect detent springs and 1 missing detent ball bearing. He pointed out some other things in Italian while waving his hands, but it was hard for me to understand. At this point it doesn't look too serious ie $$$. With some luck he should have it finished up in a few days.

From Modena

Ciao,
    FGM

15. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Fantastico :)

Great thread!

16. redfred84

redfred84 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    SF Bay Area, USA
    Great shots Frank! Please keep them coming!
    RF.

17. Wolf

Wolf Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    Can ypu please be more specific: What is a Frua-bodied 200SI?

Regards

Wolfi

18. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Frank,
    the " Frua Bodied 200SI Spyder" you mentioned is in fact the 150S #03, a one-off by Frua.
    The car belongs to a friend of mine in Switzerland ad has been restored in CH and in England by Steve Hart.

19. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Thank you Walter. the Swiss chap seemed to be a very nice guy.
    FGM

20. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Yep - and a great enthusiast too!

21. ColdWater

ColdWater Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2006
    bicoastal USA
    #21 ColdWater, May 5, 2012
    For a multiple Maserati-owning friend who has difficulty posting photos, attached is the external oil pump on s/n # 0286. He wonders how long these were used.

22. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Well, that is a good question. I have #686 with the external oil pump and 708 which has the internal high pressure oil pump. So 11 cars after 686 we have the new type oil pump.
    Can anyone else add to this mystery.
    Ciao,
    FGM

23. fragonard

fragonard Rookie

Mar 22, 2009
    Hello

I am in the process of making the sceeen trim for the GT & GTi(stainless),make a lot of parts for the 3500.

Fragonard

24. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I am always interested in learning what parts are being reproduced. Please post a list and how we can contact you directly.

Ivan

25. fragonard

fragonard Rookie

Mar 22, 2009
    The list might be too large to put on here Ivan,think I tried contacting you some time ago.I make many parts for the 3500 including many rubber parts,trim,etc.Always try to make items as original as possible using correct materials.

[email protected] if you need to contact me,I will help with anything if I can.