Is Florida's red light camera law hard to beat? | FerrariChat

Is Florida's red light camera law hard to beat?

Discussion in 'Florida' started by pippo, Oct 26, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pippo

pippo Formula 3

Sep 25, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    pippopotemus
    Geez, its my car, so I got the fine in the mail. But, I wasnt driving the car. relative from Up north was in town, loaned the car to him, and now, I got the fine in the mail. I figured Id post this here i the FL section to see if any members here ever contested the FL camera law in court and won.

I read that some states, if you arent in the car, youre off the hook. But in FL, its tough luck. Guilty no matter what. Even if, with the enhanced photo, its clear youre not the driver. They dont care. Feedback much appreciated.

Pip

2. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Well, you could always send it to your relative with a little note saying "Gee, this just came in the mail for you. Please take care of it."

In many states there have been constitutional challenges to the red light cameras. I'm not familiar with Florida's law on this or whether it has been successfully challenged. Unless you are prepared to make this your hobby and pursue it yourself, the cost of a lawyer to challenge it will be more than the fine. So take your choice -- principle or practicality. I don't know about your area, but up here, if you go to court and talk to the local prosecutor, you can often get tickets like that knocked down to a lesser offense with a lower fine, especially if you tell them you loaned the car to a relative. Just a thought.

3. pippo

pippo Formula 3

Sep 25, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    pippopotemus
    Thanks, Steve. You have a good point about the value of fighting it. Its only $184 or so. Yeah, I will send it to my nephew....LOL. Still, its my car, and Im the one.

I did learn already that thats the only thing to do as an alternative. In FL, you cant get off the hook. You know, its a good thing- Im a nut about safe driving, and too many red light runners, at least, the blatant runners as opposed to the fraction of a second kind. Its a continuum as opposed to a yes/no. Still, the law has to draw the line in the sand.....

4. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Numerous challenges to the red light camera tickets
    have been successful.

This has more to do with the raised letters on the current
    plates which is why there is a new notion of bringing in new,
    flat plates which is being bandied about by the governor's
    office and state legislature.

Despite being told that these red light cameras are being
    installed for safety reasons, they are in fact revenue raisers.
    But, the applications are flawed. The cameras don't pick up
    the raised letters on the plates in certain light situations so
    some people are getting tickets in the mail for supposed
    red light violations despite the fact they were never near
    the location of the incident.

It's been further revealed that the revenues raised are being
    funnelled into private institutions. A couple of years ago, it was
    pointed out that money raised from several new red light cameras
    was going to a new building project on the campus of Florida
    Southern University, a private institution.

If you really want to thwart the red light cameras, just
    keep a thin layer of vasoline on your plates.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sfl-florida-license-plates-20121023,0,301251.story

BHW

5. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Contact The Ticket Clinic ..... no more worries.

6. pippo

pippo Formula 3

Sep 25, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    pippopotemus
    #6 pippo, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
    Just looked it up. Looks inviting, the site. Think they really work? For a red light ticket? Monet back guarantee?

7. pippo

pippo Formula 3

Sep 25, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    pippopotemus
    Thaks, Barton, but I dont see how that article helps me- they have the plate #, so I dont get the point. Also, yes, if theres hope of fighting it, im happy, but the rep at the FL State ticket line said no way to get out of it-other than to "rat" on the driver so they can jump on him/her. Dang- it was for just a SPLIT second on the painted line- sheesh.

8. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Yes.... they are awesome ....

PM me, and I will get you in contact with Sherry, who handles tickets for Mark.

9. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    yes, listen to Fred.

10. pippo

pippo Formula 3

Sep 25, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    pippopotemus
    OK, I sent the PM. You guys are very gracious.......

11. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Does anyone know how long after the "alleged violation" the ticket shows up in the mail? I saw the flash go off in my mirror about a month ago but I haven't received a ticket. I suppose it could have been photographing a car coming through the intersection behind me.

Thanks.

Jack

12. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    PM responded... and, I emailed Sherry. She is expecting your contact. PM me if you need anything else!!

:)

13. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    I was told by a couple of Ticket Attorneys that I would be wasting my time and money trying to fight a ticket I got recently and they are in the traffic ticket business....

14. Roadney

Roadney Karting

To beat red light cameras - I’m waiting on this product to hit the marketplace.
    It looks pretty legit. What do you think?

http://www.nophoto.com/

Testing Session
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTTxzA1S1xU&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcFSA7N8Pmc&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

15. damnhawk

damnhawk Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2007
    Cape Coral/ Boca
    Full Name:
    Eric M
  16. pippo

pippo Formula 3

Sep 25, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    pippopotemus
    Look here:
    http://www.lawserver.com/law/state/florida/statutes/florida_statutes_316-0083

Para b)1)a, says within 30 days. If its longer than that, I believe youre off the hook. Geez- why didnt my ticket take longer than 30 days. Some guys have all the luck......

17. pippo

pippo Formula 3

Sep 25, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    pippopotemus
    Update: People, I caled that site (the lead Fred gave me), and after a brief discussion, the guy said in Hillsborough county, no way to beat it- no savings going with theticket clinic. Butm, he said MAYBE they can have it removed fromm my "record", and that it 'could" prevent my insurance from going up..

Now, the wife took the call (I was out), so she couldnt follow up with questions I would have asked, so I dont know what "maybe" means. BUT, question i have for yous, how could my insurance go up if I wasnt the driver, and how would an ins co increase the premium?? I have many cars on my policy. Do the just jack up ALL the cars rates?

Feedback appreciated!

18. pippo

pippo Formula 3

Sep 25, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    pippopotemus
    I realize passing red light is serious......so, insurance co takes on more risk......

19. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    As I understand it, the way the red light tickets are set up is that there are no points, so it should not go against your insurance. You are the "presumed" driver, unless you file an affidavit saying you weren't the driver and state who the driver was (what about if you don't know, like you left it at the dealership and have no idea who had access to the car??).

If it was a cop issued ticket, you ask for a "withold of adjudication", which means no legal finding of guilt, and no points, so it shouldn't count against your insurance.

Regards,
    Jerry

20. pippo

pippo Formula 3

Sep 25, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    pippopotemus
    Jerry,

No points? man, thats great! The ticket was isued by the camera, of course, and Im not gonna give the nbame of the driver, so Im responsible, yes. man, Glad to hear no points.

Why would that rep from theticketclinic try to swade me to "go with them" , if no points?? Maybe an ins co can raise the rate just the same with no points(?)

How do insurance companies then reconcile red light runners (first time for me in 35 years)? People that run red light always- dont the ins cos need to get paid for such risky drivers? Just curious......

21. donho

donho Karting

Oct 11, 2006
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Michael
    In Florida, tickets generated by cameras do not attract points. Some of the challenges to the use of cameras center on this difference. The argument goes like this. Why, if I'm stopped by a LEO for running a red light, do I pay a fine and lose points when all the violators caught by cameras suffer a fine only? It does seem pretty clearly to violate the equal protection clause. I suggest a Passport 9500ci in every car.

22. pippo

pippo Formula 3

Sep 25, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    pippopotemus
    Thanks, Michael. Confirms what I learned. Update- I paid the fine. No way out of it. At least, in Hillsborough cty. No points- also cuz, according to my insurance guy, the red light camera laws are too new. Too much controversy, ins. cos dont mess with one ticket gotten in say, 30 years. Hopefully, I wont get another until 2042 or so.....

23. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Be thankfull you do not live in Germany. NO WAY to beat one.

And they can be TRULY EXPENSIVE (in the THOUSANDS of Euros) depending on by how much you "run the light."

24. spieler

spieler Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2012
    miami florida
    I get one 2 weeks ago at Bal harbour ( almost every red light has an automatic system in this area)
    failure to comply with a steady red signal.
    i received the fine in my mail box with pictures of my car and a link to a video ( pretty nice)
    i paid the 158 usd on line and is is clearly stated ( letters are yellow paint on the paper):
    No points will be assessed for payment of this notice of violation nor it will affect vehicule insurance rates

Then i checked on their official web site and same informations so no points and no information to insurance .
    Good

25. deedee

deedee Rookie

Dec 6, 2012
    Yes there is that disclaimer but there is also another disclaimer that a UTC will be issued if payment isn't received by the deadline.