Miles Davis's Ferrari (Ferraris?) | FerrariChat

Miles Davis's Ferrari (Ferraris?)

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by cglazows, Apr 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cglazows

cglazows Rookie

Mar 10, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Just wondering if any of knowledgeable Fchat members knew what Miles Davis had in his collection. I came across an article with him quoting:

"I drive a Ferrari - not to be cute, but because I dig it. I'd rather drive a ten-year-old Ferrari than one of them new things - they don't go."

Any info??

ps. Yes this is my first post, I have been silently reading the board for quite some time now, just wanted to make an interesting first post. Hello all.

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Excellent first post. I'm not sure which one he drove but I remember it was a late 60s model. It was not a Daytona. I would have remembered that. I do remember that he paid the ungodly sum of $7000 for it. He bought it when he was married to the very beautiful dancer Francis something. She's on the cover of the album ESP I believe. I think he was assaulted by a NYPD officer while driving it-- jealousy is a you know what. ;)

If you search the internet without success I would recommend you buy his autobiography. It's an excellent, front row view of Jazz and America in mid-century. Even if you find the car I'd recommend the book. He was a true American genius, with many of the classic American flaws, especially the issue of identity.

Good reading,

JPR

Bullfighter likes this.
  3. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    If you search the old forum you'll find an interesting Miles story...

4. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
  5. RAYMAN

RAYMAN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Raymond Santilli
    I remember a 60 minutes interview when he had just bought a Testerosa, his people actually called the police just to let them know that it was HIM they'd be seeing.

6. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    Regarding his statement, 'them new things', That must have been back in the early days. The last car I saw him in was a Silver TR.

7. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    I still have that interview on video. It's one of my favorite pieces from 60 minutes. My favorite line was:

Q. "Are you anti-white?"

MD: "Not all the time."

8. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    While waiting in BB King's tour bus to hang out with him, met his right hand man who useta hang out with Miles. He was also a Ferrari fan as i noticed him wearing the black Ferrari sneakers! Just so happen to have the 308 in the back lot near the tour bus (did not impress him, he asked if i has an Enzo(!)). To make a long story short, he told me how him and drummer Tony Williams would take Mile's Ferrari out for drives. He collected scale model Ferrari cars and for the life of me i am a bad reporter as my notes DO NOT have his name :( BB is coming back in concert soon and maybe i can rekindle our conversation... not that hanging out with his friend, Mr. BB King, is such a bad thing either.

If i go, can find out A LOT about Miles and Ferrari cars if you want.

Pic of me and BB below.

9. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Way to go Stephen. I saw BB King live for the first time in, oh, 1970 I believe. Absolutely blew me away. Even though I grew up in the deep South listening to R&B (Bobby Blue Bland, James Brown, etc. etc. etc.), I had no fuking idea what da blues were all about until I saw BB in Pensacola Florida. If you do see him again, tell him that there is at least one other white boy buried alive in the blues because of him.

Dr "Every Day I Have the Blues" Tax

10. malibumk

malibumk Karting

May 14, 2002
    Malibu, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike Klein
    Silver Testarossa was driven by Miles around Malibu where he lived (and I think where he died). I don't know the year.

11. cglazows

cglazows Rookie

Mar 10, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    That would be awesome Steven! My father once met BB in a bar in chicago. To everyone else who responded, thank you for the info!!!!!

12. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Ok,

BB is coming to Hampton (NH) Beach Casion Ballroom Friday April 30, 2004. Should easily be able to get another Ferrari member in with me to meet him. Anyone game? Still CAN NOT drive so would need a ride both ways. Please send me e-mail steve at enjoythemusic dot com

PS: If you live far away yet going to Dyno Day on May 1, you can sleep over at my place for the eve.

13. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    The 'bu Ferrari I saw Miles Davis in was Giallo. In mid-80's, I was walking by as he was pulling out of (a/his?) residential garage adjacent to Malibu Surfrider Beach. Until that moment, I had no idea who lived there. What, besides nearly crap, does a Miles Davis fan do when one sees Miles Davis pull up beside one's self? What I did at that time was not pay nearly as much attention to the ride as I did the legend making eye contact with me. Nevertheless, the more I replay those moments in my mind, it seems to me it could very well have been a 288 GTO. Just seems I saw those extra lines when I wasn't lost in that gaze and the lines on his face... and I was as lost in the moment as one of his tunes.

14. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Rumour has it that, whenever Miles Davis would come to the Montreux Jazz Festival (and he came many times), a rental Ferrari (at the time 308's then 328's) were part of his contract. Claude Nobs, a personal friend of Miles Davis and founder & organizer of the Montreux Jazz Festival bought a 348 at the height of the speculation years.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  15. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Giive him my regards from Texas!

Dale

16. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    When I was working at Chinettis a silver 275 GTB showed up one day with bullett holes in it. I was told that it belonged to Miles Davis and he indeed showed up at some point later on. We used to send all bodywork to a fellow in Port Chester, NY named Willy Stingone and off it went to Willy. I was later told that the bullet holes were installed by Mrs. Davis who was unhappy with Miles inability to remain faithful to her!

Nembo1777 likes this.
  17. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    ROTFL david - what a great story!!!!

doody.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  18. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Dr Tax,

You are indeed a great music enthusiast! As such please allow me to send you a SIGNED photo of BB King, a BB King pin, and also my concert ticket from last year's show. PM me your mailing address and i will send them to you :)

Hopefully this will "cure" your "blues" for today :) ALWAYS glad to bring a smile to another music lover's face.

Enjoy the Music,

Steven R. Rochlin

19. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

Steven, you don't have to do that, but if you must, check you PM!

ps How many mo days?

20. dmii74

dmii74 Karting

Jan 1, 2004
    I did a search in the old forum and couldnt find that Miles Davis story recommended. Can anyone help locate it?

21. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    I met a guy 2 weeks ago named Bob Payne who lives near me in Mi. and he said his '78 yellow 308 used to belong to M.D. If you want to contact him, his e-mail is [email protected]. Jerry

22. vince308

vince308 Formula 3

May 23, 2003
    belgium
    Full Name:
    vincent
    #22 vince308, Aug 15, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  23. cecinestpasunjan

Sep 15, 2004
    Frankfurt, Germany
    Full Name:
    Jan

This could make sense:
    A few months ago, a yellow 308 with Miles as one of the former owners had been advertised on Ebay. Could be Bob either bought it via Ebay or he didn't manage to sell it there.

24. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    May be what I saw Miles driving out of his Mailbu garage many moons ago.

25. Miura Jota

Miura Jota F1 Rookie

May 26, 2004
    Toluca , Mexico
    Full Name:
    Martin
    #25 Miura Jota, Aug 19, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017