Go Back   FerrariChat.com > General Forums > Ferrari Discussion (not model specific) - Sponsored by Algar Ferrari

Closed Thread

Share/Bookmark LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2004, 05:12 PM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Zack Sursio
Angry Got beat by a Subaru!!

I hate Subaru's!!! Looked like a new WRX. That little sh*t is fast. He was on my tail going up Cold Water Canyon, so I stepped on it and tried to pull away but couldn't shake this guy!! So he finally passed me and just kept pulling away. I'm a pretty good driver but this guy just out powered me. I know there is no comparison between the two cars but it still bugs me that a 30K 4 cylinder car can do this to a 360.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 03-05-2004, 05:13 PM
F1 Veteran
Not Subscribed

Must have been STi and must have been modded. Scooby is good but not that good.

Edit: Stock STi is faster than a 996 Carrera, however. I would trade in my '02 WRX if it weren't for that ricer wing...

Last edited by zjpj; 03-05-2004 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-05-2004, 05:31 PM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjpj
Must have been STi and must have been modded. Scooby is good but not that good.

Edit: Stock STi is faster than a 996 Carrera, however. I would trade in my '02 WRX if it weren't for that ricer wing...
I'm pretty sure it was an STI because it did have a big wing. Don't know if it was modded but I could hear his turbo as he passed me.
Old 03-05-2004, 05:34 PM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Il Bastuna
My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMS
I'm pretty sure it was an STI because it did have a big wing. Don't know if it was modded but I could hear his turbo as he passed me.

Dude, I drove one of those the other day. That f^&*er is fast. Then, I raced a pretty modded one one with the 355 two weeks ago and I was very slightly faster. Therefore, I would say that whatever you were playing with was something highly modified. They are great little cars, though. I'm thinking about buying one.
Old 03-05-2004, 05:40 PM
Formula Junior
Non Subscribed

Full Name: Keith
Thumbs up

You know all his friends are going to hear about how he beat a Ferrari.
Old 03-05-2004, 05:42 PM
F1 Rookie
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Mule
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherpa23
They are great little cars, though. I'm thinking about buying one.
At least two of the members at dinner last week have STI's. Both silver, and one had the trunk lid swapped for an RS lid (smaller wing) for more of a sleeper. They love them.
Old 03-05-2004, 05:43 PM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherpa23
Dude, I drove one of those the other day. That f^&*er is fast. Then, I raced a pretty modded one one with the 355 two weeks ago and I was very slightly faster. Therefore, I would say that whatever you were playing with was something highly modified. They are great little cars, though. I'm thinking about buying one.
Ryan, that makes two of us. I hate that car so much I'm gonna go to the Subaru dealer this weekend to check one out. Though, if i get one, that rear wing has to go.
Old 03-05-2004, 05:57 PM
Formula Junior
Non Subscribed

Full Name: Mike D
I agree about the ugliness of that spoiler, but alos that it is a very fast car. A friend of mine has an 02' STi with moderate mods, he had it 4-wheeled dynoed and it got more than 340 horses to the wheels on med/high boost. plus with the all wheel drive, it can get the power down pretty good.

MD
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 03-05-2004, 06:00 PM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMS
Ryan, that makes two of us. I hate that car so much I'm gonna go to the Subaru dealer this weekend to check one out. Though, if i get one, that rear wing has to go.

I'm only 28. I can get away with the giant wing .

At any rate, you'll be surprised. It still feels like a $25k japanese car but when you push the pedal down, it goes. The 355 goes really fast but it's very dramatic (with the Tubi) and it builds with this insane rush. With the STI, you just hear the tubos spool up and you get pushed back into those cheap plush seats. It's something else. And that's without the mods all these kids are doing.

As someone who can't bring himself to spend more than $30k on a daily driver (I'm driving a Toyota 4x4 right now) this really looks good.
Old 03-05-2004, 06:11 PM
F1 Rookie
Non Subscribed

Full Name: Allan
Wink

Well you know, Ferrari arent all about going fast. I mean you could of told him all about Ferraris racing heritage. Im sure he wouldnt of felt as good for beating you after that!
Old 03-05-2004, 06:13 PM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanlambo
Well you know, Ferrari arent all about going fast. I mean you could of told him all about Ferraris racing heritage. Im sure he wouldnt of felt as good for beating you after that!

LOL!!!!
Old 03-05-2004, 06:17 PM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Chris Horner
Yeah you have to watch those STi's. They are serious little cars. Not to mention they are ridiculously easy to get more hp out of. Oh - and in the rumor mill for 05 for the STi, there will be a spoiler delete option......I might have to pick one up myself now.......
Old 03-05-2004, 06:19 PM
F1 Veteran
Consultant

Full Name: Howie Felterbum
I just replaced a set of front brakes on an STi last week. The brake job cost 2kcnd. Yes thats a 2 and then a thousand following. The pads were 800.and the rotors were 625 each!!
Your guys might have it cheaper in the US though. I could not justify spend that for brakes on a 30kUs car!!

Oh yes..they are very fast!
Old 03-05-2004, 06:21 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Dave
or, you could spend a little more on an F-50 and walk all over him next time!
Man, I love those cars! I'm getting excited just thinking about it..
Old 03-05-2004, 06:24 PM
F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Dave
I have an STI myself. Take a look at the stats. It's about as fast as anything, stops as fast as anything and handles about as well as anything. And it will play in mud and snow too!
Not only that, but the STI has big time racing heritage in the WRC.
My gut is that on a real twisty road, the STI will take out a 360. The AWD just gets power to the ground on exits. On a more open track with high speed sweepers, the 360 should win, but I would not count on it and if the Subie driver is a little better, the 360 driver can be embarressed.
The 360 can retain bragging rights on top speed since the STI is electronically limited to 145. Oh well!
I have been told that Subaru sells parts that will raise the HP to 450 and still retain warranty. My gut is that the redline is lower than need be to make the motors last. It has a big bore and short stroke. Hits the rev limiter very easily. I think there are a lot more ponies waiting to be unleashed. I also believe handling can be improved by merely switching from the stock 225's to 245's. It already has huge Brembos, so much more to do on brakes.
Being 53, I have embraced the boy racer look. I like the big spoiler which, unlike most, is actually functional at 80 MPH+. The giant hood scoop also feeds the intercooler. I know other owners that bought regular Imprezza trunk lids for everyday driving however.

On a personal note, I have tried out many modern performance cars and most just aren't that much fun. Even though most can blow away my 89 328, the 328 is just plain fun. The STI is great fun. It begs you to drive fast, throw it into corners, even just whip around a parking lot. All for about 32K.

When parked in the garage with the 328 GTB, I call them the "beauty and the beast"

Dave
Old 03-05-2004, 06:41 PM
Formula Junior
Non Subscribed

[QUOTE=HMS]I hate Subaru's!!!QUOTE]

Now I know that a Porsche Boxster is not exactly a "cool car" by standards of this board, but I had a nice Black on Red, I was cruising the freeway with my brother and some ricer was taunting me in his blue WRX. I indulged him.

He destroyed me, much to my chagrin and my little brothers delight. I heard about it all night.

Boxster was in AutoTrader the following day.

It just doesn't feel right that a Subaru could/should beat a Ferrari/Porsche.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 03-05-2004, 06:50 PM
F1 Veteran
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Alexander
Ok, such a Subaru might be fast and a real good drivers car BUT it stays just a Subaru. There are a lot of very good, fast and beautiful cars BUT... they all miss that something that makes a Ferrari sooo special! It simply is a legend with racing heritage and Italian style! No car can beat that.

Greets, Alex.
Old 03-05-2004, 06:55 PM
Formula 3
Non Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanlambo
You know, Allen, once upon a time, that comment would have bugged me.
- But how can I argue with you on that?

>but it still bugs me that a 30K 4 cylinder car can do this to a 360.

Why? Get used to it - There is a ton of street trash that could pass you so fast, you just might step out to see why your 360 had stopped!

Actually, it does bug me to no end, that the Ferrari mystique is just that. -When it comes to "go fast," that is.

I just ignore everyone that wants to race - can't stand losing....and focus on the beauty and the mystique that is Ferrari.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:08 PM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Mark
Is this the car? They all look the same to me?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jap car times 2.jpg (99.0 KB, 1816 views)
Old 03-05-2004, 07:44 PM
Karting
Non Subscribed

Full Name: Mark
Mark - here
Closed Thread