Haas is....... | FerrariChat

Haas is.......

Discussion in 'F1' started by Ferraripilot, Apr 15, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
  2. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    A fool and his money are soon parted.

3. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Beat those Europeans...hmmmm. Needless rhetoric. F1 is international. He will need some 'euro' help to do just that. Silly.

4. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    That's exactly what I was thinking. Every team is very much International.

5. DF1

I hope they do well. I am excited to see this for F1.

6. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    As I've said many times, 'hope springs eternal'.....

I'm sure many of those quotes were answers to questions, and what's he meant to say? 'We know we're going to suck'. 'We know we're going to be a backmarker.'

I wish them well, but as has been already been noted, they're making a huge rod for themselves by trying to run it from Kannapolis. Sure, limitless bandwidth makes life easier, but the logistics are going to be a nightmare..... Bernie's 747's take most of them right out of (IIRC) Luton. Ferrari, Sauber & STR are the only guys who do their own thing. Every race, with the possible exceptions of USA & Canada will be a flyaway for them. Are they going to have a dozen trucks sitting around for just those two races?

Then they seem to have Dallara doing the chassis. I'm obviously mistaken (! ;)) in my belief that you have to be a constructor in F1..... Why not go to, eg, Merc, and ask for a year old tub?

BTW, he's also already talking about deferring the entry till 2016. Apparently the FIA has given him the option of when to start, and '2015 is too soon, 2016 too late'. I wonder if they'll change the rules to allow them to show up mid 2015?

A long way to go, and while I wish them the best I have a sense of déjà vue all over again. He's no fool, so I wouldn't go as far as saying 'a fool & his money are easily parted', but neither am I sure he knows quite how hard F1 is.....

In best Clarkson voice, 'how hard can it be?' ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

7. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Are you really surprised by a bit of arrogance? Successfull people typically aren't meek individuals. Do you think he plans on spending millions to lose?

8. DF1

1.Not at all. Useless as it was
    2.True. Frank Williams is a tough competitor yet very diplomatic
    3.There are more losers than winners in F1.

9. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    that press conference yesterday was a slow motion train wreck.

many things don't end well. this one isn't starting well.

10. SWB

SWB Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2006
    Toronto & Ottawa
    Full Name:
    Seth
    You can't be timid when swimming in the piranha club. I hope theres more backmarker bite than bark when Haas makes it to the grid.

11. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    ...and talk is cheap

12. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
  13. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Why do you need to hire "names in the biz", look how that has worked for Ferrari's engines this year!

That said - choosing a Ferrari engine pretty much regulates you to "B" status at best - Ferrari will insure they beat you, Red Bull jumped out of their Ferrari contract as soon as they got a competitive car for good reason.

Ferrari was picked probably because of General Motors not wanting a team that runs their badge in NASCAR sporting a competitor's engine in another series. This would rule out Honda, possibly Renault, and Mercedes would want their brand on an established team.

There are inventive car designers out of F1 that might not do as well inside a F1 management system vs what they are used to. It will be interesting to see what they come up with. Lotus gave their engineers a lot of room for creativity and were quickly contending with Ferrari for WCC.

Odds of a dog are high however.

14. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    Geeze, did you guys even read the articles?

He admits they will use partners to provide basically everthing to start, with a longer range GOAL of being a constructor. They've been saying all along they'll have to use a provided chasis by Dallara likely, as well as other engines before they get geared up and build their own. They've hired the guy who did some work with Jaguar and Red Bull, and the FIA agreement gives him the option of 2015 or 2016.

I have to admire someone who goes into it knowing how hard it will be, and how could you be successful if you didn't have some kind of positive outlook that it may be long and difficult but it is worth trying to do?

Heaven forbid someone like Sir Frank start a team today, or a guy named Bernie Eccelstone come from being a team owner to running the sport, or a guy from Italy named Enzo start his own racing team, and then growing it to be a builder.

I understand all the concerns and past examples of "new" teams that didn't make it, but having someone in this day and age who is still going to try and do it is a good thing for the sport.

If you had the money and interest, who's to say you shouldn't try to achieve something difficult despite the nay-sayers.

15. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I dunno about that, Penske uses Fords in NASCAR and Chevys in Indycar, Ganassi uses Chevy in NASCAR and Indy and Fords in TUSC! I don't think Chevy cares what Haas uses in F1.

agree.

remember Lola Mastercard? ;)

16. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    I just hope they find a good US driver. I would love to hear my national anthem played at the end of a grand prix

17. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Subway is rumored to be sponsoring the Haas team.

I like Subway

18. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Seriously? I hope so. I don't think any other team has a major sponsor that is food related. Very American of them :D

19. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Subway wants to expand in Europe and use F1 as their marketing vehicle

20. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Wow I thought Subway were already there, I know they're in japan and Korea (much of Asia for that matter) already.

21. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    In Uk there's one in every corner, just like Sturbucks.

This could bring McDonalds in the arena, and you know who they would be sponsoring, possibly with coke ...

Mattiacci could help there.

22. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I wish him well, but for my money only Penske and Ganassi have the right combination of talent, experience and dedication to mount a competitive F1 team from scratch. I'm really more interested in seeing American drivers develop than American teams.

23. Heat Seeker WS6

Heat Seeker WS6 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    The driver selection should be interesting. What I don't grasp is if a driver is capable and able to drive the car competitively why would their age factor as a downside?

24. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Haas is...... Fantastic for doing this. He is saying the right things and appears to be very committed.

25. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    look at Toyota...they kept putting older, experienced guys in the car and it took too long for them to adapt to the car. for whatever reason in F1 it's easier to start with a kid and build a car/team around them.

to me the perfect driver lineup for Haas would be Alexander Rossi and Paul diResta.