My first topdown V12 Ferrari, Manual Gearbox SuperAmerica | FerrariChat

My first topdown V12 Ferrari, Manual Gearbox SuperAmerica

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by MM355, Nov 21, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MM355

MM355 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2008
    GMT + 3
    #1 MM355, Nov 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello,

I am a big fan of the modern classic "young timer" Ferrari's, its the last of the old school cars. Finding a 575M with a manual gearbox is hard especially if it was red/beige. 2 weeks ago I was in contact with a dealer in USA for a low mileage F355 GTS 6Speed and a Red HGTC 575M and unfortunately the deal fell through as he claims to have sold the cars.

A week later I get a call from a friend that there is a 575 SuperAmerica for sale and its a low mileage 1 owner car. He brings it over to me and to my surprise its a manual gearbox example which is something I have never dreamt of experiencing as only 39 examples ever left Maranello gates.

I delighted to say that this 575 SuperAmerica is now mine and I am extremely excited to drive it with the topdown and enjoy my favourite classic rock playlist.

Sometime things happen in certain ways, for the price of 575M HGTC + F355 I have saved up the 5% import fees and transportation cost and got this car locally which is a huge savings compared to the WorldWide prices.

This is the 4rd Ferrari in my stable which resides along with a F512M, 328 GTS and F12.

:)

Initial pictures of the car, I am looking for an exhaust what would you recommend ?

The car is Argento Nurburgring over Nero.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Perfect!

3. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Huge congrats!
    As Smiles already said: PERFECT!
    For any Ferrari enthusiast a true Holy Grail of modern Ferraris

4. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    MM355, beautiful car! It appears to be a HGTC as well or at least the silencers do. If you want more sound simply bypass those silencers to open by re routing a couple vacuum lines at the rear and you should have that sound that you're looking for.
    There are threads on this forum on how to make this very easy change, also easily reversed.

Bill
    FL

5. MM355

MM355 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2008
    GMT + 3
    #5 MM355, Nov 21, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
    Thank you, I will get the options list and the VIN and see what special features its equipped with. So they just unplug the Valves for a loud sound ?

Could you kindly provide me the link to the thread for the Valves ?

6. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    Beautiful !

Enjoy

7. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Awesome!!

8. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    Absolutely beautiful!!!

9. 550v12SABI

550v12SABI Karting

Mar 29, 2012
    Long Island, N.Y US
    Full Name:
    Steve in NY
    WOW Amazing ride and enjoy it in good health.

10. gsjohnson

gsjohnson Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    GS Johnson
  11. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #11 tazandjan, Nov 21, 2014
    Very nice. On the Maranellos, Barchetta, and Superamerica the bypass valves are fail closed so the trick is to reroute the vacuum lines to give vacuum all the time. So run the long vacuum line (6) from the vacuum accumulator (that goes to the bypass solenoid (27)) directly to the T connector (25) going to the individual pneumatic valves on the exhaust tailpipes. Then take the short piece of hose (26) that previously went from the solenoid to the T connector and connect the end to the solenoid inlet in a loop so the solenoid does not get dirt inside.

Racing seats are very rare on the Superamerica. If she is an HGTC (CCM brakes), I would not change that exhaust, which is pretty valuable. I have one on my 575M.

If you give me the serial number (last 6 of VIN) and assembly number in front of the engine, I will add her to our database attached here.

At least 6 of those 39 were RHD, so there were at most 33 LHD Superamericas, so very rare.

12. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    #12 Konadog06, Nov 21, 2014
    Essentially. Here is something I posted on another forum in regards to bypassing the rear silencers/mufflers.
    "It cost nothing but a few minutes, can be reversed in the same amount of time. Once the rear lower cover is off, find the vacuum hoses running from your exhaust bypass valves at very rear (near tips) of mufflers (a.k.a. silencers). Backtrack to vacuum "T", then backtrack again from the vacuum "T" with the single hose to solenoid, a very short distance. Now that you have the solenoid identified, go back and remove this last single hose that you followed up to the solenoid but, remove it at the vacuum "T". Leave this hose loose for now, go back to the solenoid, at the twelve o'clock position carefully remove the top vacuum hose, by twisting, wiggling and pulling as gently as possible upwards. Once removed, take this hose (12o'clock hose) and connect it to the open vacuum "T" that the short hose had been connected too. Then take the short vacuum hose that is still loose and reconnect it to twelve o'clock position on solenoid (creating a small loop). That's it. Doing this you have attached the accumulator hose from front of car to vacuum "T", directly activating the bypass valves to open upon start up. They now stay open with car running. The other small hose has simply covered the open hole on solenoid to prevent dirt from getting in.
    Last, replace bottom rear panel.
    Anyone who would like further help with this feel free to send PM. I don't think anyone with stock exhaust would not enjoy this subtle improvement in sound. "

Pretty sure those are HGTC silencers you have back there. Bypassing will add a lot of very nice sound from idle through the lower rpm ranges which are normally lost to a closed bypass valve. If idle is too loud for you, a switchable bypass switch may become a choice which maybe Taz could comment more on.
    Bill
    FL

13. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bill- Beat you to it, but you gave more detal.

MM- Incidentally, Argento Nurburgring is a very popular color for all the 550s and 575s. Next to Rosso Corsa, probably the most common paint color on the V12s.

14. 2005575superamerica

May 11, 2011
    New York
    Very nice. Welcome to the club!!
    Capristo sells a remote for the valves. I usually leave the valves open at at times but at night in a quiet neghborhood it is nice to quiet it down a bit.
    Enjoy the last few of the three pedal cars

15. zvdxb

zvdxb Karting

Aug 31, 2014
    East/West
    Full Name:
    ZV
    Congrats MM355 ! I also have one ( red on tan ) but F1 transmission here in Dubai. I wonder how many SA there are in the region ?

16. MM355

MM355 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2008
    GMT + 3

3 over here, silver, black and red

17. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Stunning SA. Racing seats, manual box, really doesn't get much better than that!

Enjoy!

18. RareAir23

RareAir23 Formula Junior

May 19, 2005
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Congrats! Amazing and pretty rare I would imagine w/ 3 pedals.

19. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    What a wonderful car!

Congrats and enjoy!!!

20. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    Wow. Now that is truly one of the modern Holy Grail F cars. Glad to see it went to someone who appreciates it. Lets hear how that 6 speed manual drives after you get some seat time. Congrats !

21. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    What a treasure. Rare find.

22. MM355

MM355 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2008
    GMT + 3
    Exactly and thank you

23. MM355

MM355 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2008
    GMT + 3
    #23 MM355, Nov 22, 2014
  24. PRS Guitarist

PRS Guitarist Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2013
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Congrats and enjoy her.

25. zvdxb

zvdxb Karting

Aug 31, 2014
    East/West
    Full Name:
    ZV
    Heard the same number here but all three red and NO manual...:)