Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Model Specific Discussions > 348/355 - Sponsored by Bradan

Share/Bookmark LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2009, 06:16 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Full Name: James Moran
355 dyno with raised rev limiter?

Just wondering if anyone has a dyno sheet of a 355 with a raised rev limiter? The dyno sheet Gothspeed posted a while back shows the engine peaking around 8500rpm.

I would like to see a dyno of one pulled to 9000+ if one is out there as I would like to know where the power starts to fall off.

Seems like the car would be quite a bit faster if it was shifted a few hundred rpm past peak hp rather than right on top of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 355dyno.jpg (98.2 KB, 311 views)
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 12-09-2009, 03:48 AM
Formula 3

My guess is that this thread may be full of assumptions as opposed to hard facts. Its it takes of at all.
There's one car that i have heard of with a rev limiter set at 10,000rpm, and thats the ex Shuey (F1 fame) car. Although allegedly it also had factory hot cams.
But i agree it would be interesting to see the dyno sheets.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:08 AM
F1 World Champ
Consultant

Full Name: The Bad Guy
My Garage
The proper cams are a must to really make it work at those rpm's, especially if you wanna spin it to 10 grand. Then there is the question of the valve train? How well would the stock valve train hold up at those rpm's.

As a wise old man once said, "RPM stands for, Ruins Peoples Motors".
Old 12-09-2009, 11:25 AM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
The proper cams are a must to really make it work at those rpm's, especially if you wanna spin it to 10 grand. Then there is the question of the valve train? How well would the stock valve train hold up at those rpm's.

As a wise old man once said, "RPM stands for, Ruins Peoples Motors".

Thats why I would like to see a graph. If the stock cams peak at 8500 an have very little drop-off at 9000 while showing no signs of valvetrain instability than they are up to the task IMO.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:42 PM
F1 Rookie
Not Subscribed

I have a dyno that looks remarkably like gothspeeds' (which is why I am remakring on it....) In addition I had the dyno operator run the car right up to the fuel cut off of the ECU.

The mechanical item that limits the RPMs of the F355 engine are the hydraulic lifters, the ECU cutrs in before you get there). All of the other components can be used to significantly higher RPM ranges*. However, If you do want to look for another 1000 RPMs, you need to shed the hydraulic lifters and get some shim under bucket arrangement. The hydraulic lifters are already costing power at the standard redline.

(*) given that you are aware of how wear increases cubically with RPMs.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:00 PM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: goth
I would be very happy with a 9100 RPM ECU cutoff ...........
Old 12-09-2009, 04:47 PM
F1 World Champ
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Brian Crall
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Alsup View Post
I have a dyno that looks remarkably like gothspeeds' (which is why I am remakring on it....) In addition I had the dyno operator run the car right up to the fuel cut off of the ECU.

The mechanical item that limits the RPMs of the F355 engine are the hydraulic lifters, the ECU cutrs in before you get there). All of the other components can be used to significantly higher RPM ranges*. However, If you do want to look for another 1000 RPMs, you need to shed the hydraulic lifters and get some shim under bucket arrangement. The hydraulic lifters are already costing power at the standard redline.

(*) given that you are aware of how wear increases cubically with RPMs.
355 was designed for a 10k redline and is the reason they decided to go with titanium rods. During durability testing they found timing belt life unacceptably short at 10k rpm so the redline was lowered in the ecu. No other design or component changes were made. Later it was found out the early rods had a stress riser in the area of the rod bolts leading to some failures. The rods had a very minor redesign in late 95 or early 96.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:59 PM
F1 Rookie
Non Subscribed

Full Name: Rick Schumm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifledriver View Post
During durability testing they found timing belt life unacceptably short at 10k rpm
But I bet they looked really good!
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 12-09-2009, 05:23 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Quote:
355 was designed for a 10k redline and is the reason they decided to go with titanium rods. During durability testing they found timing belt life unacceptably short at 10k rpm so the redline was lowered in the ecu. .
Interesting. The gates racing timing belts could have been helpful but this was there response when I inquired about them-

"James,
Gates does not provide timing belts for the Ferrari F355 model. The popularity is low from Gates viewpoint and not cost effective to build these timing belts.
Regards, APA Team"
Old 12-09-2009, 05:46 PM
F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Hugh G. Rection
Quote:
Originally Posted by INTMD8 View Post
Interesting. The gates racing timing belts could have been helpful but this was there response when I inquired about them-

"James,
Gates does not provide timing belts for the Ferrari F355 model. The popularity is low from Gates viewpoint and not cost effective to build these timing belts.
Regards, APA Team"
14,000 355's worldwide....how many Corollas? Half a million?
Old 12-09-2009, 05:58 PM
Formula 3

Quote:
355 was designed for a 10k redline and is the reason they decided to go with titanium rods. During durability testing they found timing belt life unacceptably short at 10k rpm so the redline was lowered in the ecu. No other design or component changes were made. Later it was found out the early rods had a stress riser in the area of the rod bolts leading to some failures. The rods had a very minor redesign in late 95 or early 96.
Did not know that, thanks for posting
Old 12-09-2009, 06:03 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by f355spider View Post
14,000 355's worldwide....how many Corollas? Half a million?
Not sure but I think a product called "racing timing belts" isn't likely targeted towards Corollas.

I would think that entire product line would be relatively low volume.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:38 AM
F1 World Champ
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTMD8 View Post

"James,
Regards, APA Team"
Wouldn't matter. Timing belts on race motors are not designed or intended to go 30,000 miles.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:53 AM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Wouldn't matter. Timing belts on race motors are not designed or intended to go 30,000 miles.
Maybe not but the great number of these cars reach the time limit on the belt before mileage in which case I would think a stronger belt could be cheap insurance on a higher rpm application.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:16 PM
Formula 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Alsup View Post

Quote:
355 was designed for a 10k redline and is the reason they decided to go with titanium rods. During durability testing they found timing belt life unacceptably short at 10k rpm so the redline was lowered in the ecu. No other design or component changes were made.
I have just noticed that there are two conflicting theories/facts here.
Rifledriver said that no other design or component changes were made, for the engine to rev to 10,000rpm.
Mitch Alsup said that the mechanical item that limits the F355s RPM are the hydraulic lifters.
Which is true of the two statements?
Old 12-10-2009, 02:23 PM
F1 World Champ
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambomydog View Post
I have just noticed that there are two conflicting theories/facts here.
Rifledriver said that no other design or component changes were made, for the engine to rev to 10,000rpm.
Mitch Alsup said that the mechanical item that limits the F355s RPM are the hydraulic lifters.
Which is true of the two statements?
I got my information from Ferrari Spa.

You decide.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 12-10-2009, 02:52 PM
Formula 3

Quote:
I got my information from Ferrari Spa.

You decide.
Mmm now thats a tricky one because just like politicians, i believe very little that come out of Ferrari Spa rarther in the same way you beleve very little that comes out of FNA
Old 12-10-2009, 02:59 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Full Name: george
Wink

Well, if you had gone to the factory years ago you would have actually seen the 355 engines being tested at 10K rpm's.

Rifledriver is dead on with what he said.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:13 PM
Formula 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by redryder View Post
Well, if you had gone to the factory years ago you would have actually seen the 355 engines being tested at 10K rpm's.
Oh like you did??
Old 12-10-2009, 03:20 PM
F1 World Champ
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambomydog View Post
Mmm now thats a tricky one because just like politicians, i believe very little that come out of Ferrari Spa rarther in the same way you beleve very little that comes out of FNA
It is like any other company, there are good people and bad ones. I spent enough time with them to know who was who and who to trust.